Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 222

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Want a NEW Packard?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Found this link on the AACA Forums(Fori?). Make of it what you will.

Posted on: 12/9 18:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Want a NEW Packard?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Will be interesting to see if it is legit and how or what it is made from. Says he owns the brand name etc so guess the last person making Packards finally unloaded that failed company or at least parts of it. if leaning toward a 30s model can't imagine what this one would be based on and making one from steel seems like a costly doing. Not sure a fiberglass 30s replica Packard will fly but who knows.

Posted on: 12/9 18:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I'd guess a "new" Packard made of steel,rubber, brass, cast iron, and leather, with a Mercedes V-12, would run about $1.5 to 2.5 million.

Posted on: 12/9 18:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Coincidentally, I picked up on these guys just 2 months ago, and posted in this thread.

My personal thoughts are, I think it's nice he's making some new car(s). But anyone that knows anything about car production knows that extreme economies of scale are required for prices to stay within the upper stratosphere. So while I'm sure there are a few out there that will buy new Packard cars even at a mid-six-digit price, I don't think it's very sustainable as a business, though it sounds like the guy has multiple sources of income, so who knows how it will turn out.

And yes, if he does indeed have the trademark rights, I'm calling it a Packard, though unrelated to our cars it may be. Same as Packard organs and Packard bikes are Packards.

P.S. I wonder what this company is in Nebraska that has so many '34 parts available to be made?

Posted on: 12/9 18:31
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
hph, I am hoping for the best but the claim to have so many parts also reminds me of a company a few years ago -- probably before your time -- that said they had a metal foundry and advertised repro hard to find V12 heads etc. No idea if any managed to get their part but many apparently did not and got caught up in various delays and excuses before the company seemingly disappeared with their deposits.

Posted on: 12/9 19:22
Howard
 Top  Print   
Sad (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
The source of the bodies used by Mr. Andrews in his so-called new Packard is posted below.

http://www.gibbonfiberglass.org/Packard-Bodies---parts.html

Below is an article I wrote, published in 2008, on these bodies, which was featured in The Packard Cormorant #131.

----------------
2nd Chance Classics — In 1971, Dwight Bond opened a small restoration shop in Gibbon, Nebraska where he restored Ford Model As and Ts. After branching off into reproduction Model A fenders, he was so overwhelmed by the demand that he closed the restoration shop and started Gibbon Fiberglass Reproductions. GFR became the first company to nationally advertise a complete fiberglass Ford body; by the 1980s, GFR was reproducing components and complete Ford bodies from the Model T to the late-1930s.

In 1985, Bond started 2nd Chance Classics, which began building components and turnkey versions of the 1933 Packard in three body styles, Coupe Roadster (46 produced), Victoria Convertible (three) and Limousine Towncar (five). The Bond Packards duplicated the original 1933’s dimensions so accurately that they could be mounted on an original chassis and could use the original’s hood and fenders. The bodies were hand-built from separate pieces and reinforced with steel and hardwoods. The turnkey vehicles featured modern V-8 engines, automatic transmission, power steering and brake as well as air conditioning.

Dwight Bond retired from the body building business in 1996 and sold the entire product line to his son Kyle. The Packard line was discontinued in 2000. As of this date, the Packard molds are for sale.

Posted on: 12/9 22:42
 Top  Print   
Love (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I was about to mention Gibbon Fiberglas but ECAnthony beat me to it! As soon as I saw the "new" Packard I wondered if there was any relation and would have been more surprised if there wasn't. In any event, not to judge them or their endeavor, I am curious how they bought the rights to the Packard name as it is currently owned by someone who I understand is a bit difficult to work with.

Posted on: 12/10 3:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I got a chuckle out of that linked article that said he was from northern OH and never heard of Packard - what's that?
Not unexpected today when a brand has been gone for 65 years or two generations now.
Mystique du jour at play here, not common sense. I like it flies in the face of the EV movement too! I wonder if Elon has one on order? Go ICEs! The new gen would likely 3D print one, too.
I grew up about 10 miles from Warren, was born before the end and all that was associated with Packard there was the music hall and the auto electric plant, which was subsequently sold and named changed. I hadn't ever been to the museum until after I acquired the '49 looking for info and was back in the area.
I looked at putting a modern V-12 in and it's not a cheap go, even if you can buy one used. I never got to approaching AMG to see if new were for sale. Not unlimited budget type, even if I could afford it or not. They integrate so much of the cars sensors into the ECU that it would take a major programming effort to unwind all that. I almost tried a wreck to use the chassis and motor but still a deprogramming nightmare, as they don't divulge the program outside MB. Same for BMW, but there are racing guys with the keys. There is a V-12 racing engine or two out there, Nelson, etc that were running in the >$30K arena for just the engine about 10 years back.

Posted on: 12/10 16:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Hello...

And another one.

Live long enough and you begin to realize this is all just one great big circle of cycles.

Every ten to fifteen years somebody, somewhere suddenly discovers "Packard" and goes bonkers. This is usually followed by an announcement that they ...THEY are going to resume manufacturing Packards! Yes. Regardless of no manufacturing facilities, no engineers, and no real money.

Of course this latest enterprise cannot possibly "own all patents, copyrights and trademarks" as stated. At least some of the trademarks are owned by the Packard Club. And what about the guy out west who makes the same claims and his holy mackerel (and that's what it looked like) "Packard V-12"?????

The latest of a long, long, long line of "revivals" which editor, Stuart Blond covered in The Packard Cormorant magazine years ago.

Coming any day– pretty darned soon. One thing about being old and having a working memory. One gets to see a lot of recirculating folly.

Please.

Happy Holidays to Everyone,

Posted on: 12/10 18:07
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
It would take an enormous investment to revive Packard... probably billions.

Beyond that, it would not be legal to produce or market 1930s Packards in the US, regardless of marque ownership issues. You'd have a better chance of pulling it off in China.

Posted on: 12/10 18:37
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved