Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 237

Oldcaddies , Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 55 Clipper custom, torsion level not working, considering.....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The only other query I can find on T-L from mycoldcorona was one thread, Torsion level.. need help. Still, I believe he got a reasaonble level of assistance, but he simply never reported back with his progress so that anyone could give him further guidance - until now. His opening post in this thread is the first I ever heard about air shocks for his car.

I guess I need to compose a FAQ on T-L, but it will be a work-in progress. Eventually, I'll have a troubleshooter for the site as a separate piece.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 18:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Well, I had just bought my car in January of 2008 when coldcorona posted and o didn't know much then. But my project blog has come a long way since then and I hope it helps people with there issues. It's what helps keep me going on it.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 19:01
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Brian,

Thanks for the TL FAQ SUSPENSION & STEERING: Torsion-Level - A Primer you've just loaded up. Very quick work

Posted on: 2010/8/20 19:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Thanks Mal!

In view of repeated questions and misconceptions regarding the T-L suspension, I've been wanting to do this for some time and even had a rough outline, with links, but there's been too much else happening on my end.

However, I thought I better start with the salient points I made here, plus a few more, and get at least that much up there.

I've since added some additional introductory text , but expect further refinemen in the future. Check back later!

Posted on: 2010/8/20 19:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
You rock!!!!!

Posted on: 2010/8/20 20:20
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Good work on the FAQ Brian. Great piece.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 21:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Thank you, all.

There have been other pieces written, previously and elsewhere, with greater depth on this topic, but I feel that the purpose of a FAQ is to get the reader pointed in the right direction, with a little background info and links to relevant material.

I hope that others with similar interests for and expertise in other areas and vehicles will recognize when a FAQ is needed and step up to the plate.

Of course, a FAQ should never try to take the place of an fully-detsiled article, like the excellent How-To pieces that have been contributed to our Literature and Manuals archive.

Posted on: 2010/8/21 9:44
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Edgar
See User information
Wow! thanks for the input. I did post a long while back regarding my suspension, howver I was waylayed on any progess due to unforeseeen circumstances.... ( i know we can all relate)
My first objective was to have the brake sysytem restored, and that has been done. Along with other minor issues easily repaired, i have been driving our car. I appreciate everone's feedback!

OK, I have no electrical power to the T/L motor. When I tested it with my own contacts, I got no response. The switch under the dash was turned to the right, (I did know that, but thnks for the refresher!)

I'm hoping to address this more intently after i have the car garaged at the end of the summer, our last big trip is upon us and I'm looking to make it without having my back end drag all the way and my front nosed up. So, my question, I guess, would really be; as a temprary "FIX" as it may be. Would air shocks on the rear harm any operation of the car seeing that I have no active T/L Motor?

Posted on: 2010/8/21 13:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think they will harm anything by themselves but if the TL is forcing the rear end down, there will be lots of strain applied to something to try and overcome it. You said no power so assume you have checked both fuses--the 20 amp one in the red individual feed wire to solenoids coming from starter solenoid and the body feed fuse on the fuse block which feeds the control box via brake switch and the switch under dash. If you have and both fuses OK, then a failed brake switch itself is a good prospect.

If the motor runs at all, you should be able to level the car by removing both wires from motor studs (labeled A & F). CAREFULLY using a jumper cable from the hot battery terminal briefly touch one or the other terminal to run the motor in the direction needed. I say carefully because without limit switches you must be sure the transverse bars are not at one extreme end of travel when doing this and inadvertently run motor the wrong way and do damage by driving the bars past center on the compensator..

Posted on: 2010/8/21 13:51
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved