Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Remains of a 1937 prototype?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JKowFam
See User information
Hello!

I am new to this forum and joined because I am interested in sharing a story about a certain Packard car in my family. I don't have the good fortune of "owning" a Packard myself, but I did grow up with this "car in the woods" that captured my imagination as a small kid. I am hoping some of you fine folks might be able to expand my knowledge of it.
I knew this as my grandma's car. Her father worked at Packard for most of his career, mainly as an engine mechanic and somewhat of a test driver. I have always heard the story of this car being a prototype, with a feature that was never put into production. Specifically, the rear of the car does not have a trunk that bumps out. Instead the rear is a slope, much like a 37 Ford, with the trunk tucked away behind the rear seat. The story goes that my great-grandfather saved the car from being destroyed and purchased it for a nominal fee. The car then served the family for close to 20 years as a functioning driver. Here the story takes a sad turn. In 1956, according to the story, the car was driven out on the family property and left. It has been inconceivable to me in retrospect, but perhaps that's just what you were supposed to do with things you didn't want anymore. In the time since, much of it before I was born, the car has succumbed to vandalism, fallen trees, sinking in the ground and plain old rust from snow and rain.
The car has always been referred to as a 1937, and it has an inline-6. After my grandmother passed away last year, I have visited the car and done some more homework on it. I learned that 37 was the first time since the 20's that Packard sold a 6-cylinder car for economic market reasons. The car was dubbed a 115 early on, or perhaps that name was interchangeable with the "Packard 6" name, until 1940 when the 110 label appeared for a while. Interestingly enough, the vehicle ID plaque does not have a typical VIN number on it. Instead, it is stamped "115 C (star shape) 1 (star shape)". I'd love to hear from anybody who can shed more light on the subject.

Thank you!

Posted on: 2015/1/10 14:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Remains of a 1937 prototype?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Everything you said sounded normal and routine, including the sloped back body style (though 37 was the last year for that style) EXCEPT your noting the number stamped on the VIN plate. THAT is NOT normal, and would at the very least be worth a second look. Might you be able to capture a picture of that and post it?

Posted on: 2015/1/10 19:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello JKowFam:

While you are getting photos of the car and the VIN tag (aka the data plate) for Flackmaster what more can you tell us about your great grandfather?

You mention he was. "...an engine mechanic and somewhat of a test driver." Reason I ask is that the Packard Proving Grounds has some info on some test drivers and we are always looking for additional information about the folks who worked at the PPG. Do you have a name you can share? You can PM me if you like.

--Roger--

Posted on: 2015/1/10 19:49
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day JKowFam,

to PackardInfo.

The number on the VIN plate is very intriguing, as the Flackmaster says "THAT is NOT normal". Besides a photo of the plate, could you also advise or provide a photo of the Thief Proof Number which is stamped into the firewall?

And, a last request, could you also include this '37 Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry?

Posted on: 2015/1/10 21:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JKowFam
See User information
Hello again, I was able to get a shot of the VIN plate. I had to zoom in because it is a little hard to read. The Delivered By, City, and Date lines are not stamped.

I also attached an overall pic of the car as it sits today.

I do not have the firewall number written down, but I am going to contact my father (who lives much closer to the property) and see if he can jot it down.

Thank you for your interest as I learn more about this!

Attach file:

jpg  (116.08 KB)
79866_54b3feabc2dcb.jpg 721X1280 px

jpg  (179.48 KB)
79866_54b3febaaa4bd.jpg 1280X721 px

Posted on: 2015/1/12 12:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
That data plate tag is very intriguing.

What is left is a 1937 Packard Six Sedan. Yours is different from the Touring Sedan in that it does NOT have the extra bump for the trunk area. Similarly, a Club Sedan also has the bump but lacks the rear quarter window. In your original posting you mentioned the lack of a trunk bump.

You can see here on page 8 of 12:
https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1937_PackardBrochure.pdf

Your great grandfather may, in fact, had the original #1 car.

Posted on: 2015/1/12 13:58
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
And for including this '37 Six Sedan in the Registry!

Posted on: 2015/1/12 15:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JKowFam
See User information
Hello all,
I was finally able to get the information on this car's thief-proof number. It reads as follows: 23I57 (or is the I a #1?). I might be able to obtain a photograph later. Thanks!

Posted on: 2015/1/26 12:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That IS an interesting vehicle, and from the data plate it would appear that it might well be a prototype. You're missing one digit from the theft-proof number, should be 6 digits.

Packard did make "slant back" touring sedans in the "senior" series for 1935 and 1936; unsure if they were offered later than that or if they were offered in the "junior" series cars, but someone else will know.

PS - page 452 of the Kimes book does show a junior (120) 1935 slant- back touring sedan.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 12:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
That IS an interesting vehicle, and from the data plate it would appear that it might well be a prototype. You're missing one digit from the theft-proof number, should be 6 digits.

Packard did make "slant back" touring sedans in the "senior" series for 1935 and 1936; unsure if they were offered later than that or if they were offered in the "junior" series cars, but someone else will know.

PS - page 452 of the Kimes book does show a junior (120) 1935 slant- back touring sedan.

As RogerDetroit commented earlier, it is a Six Sedan, a 1083 body style. This body style was available in the junior series cars from 1935 to 1937. I personally prefer this body style over the Touring Sedan which has the bustle for a larger trunk. The photo shows what I believe to be a Banjo Style steering wheel. It may be in restorable condition, and if so, worth more than all the rest of the car.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/1/26 13:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved