Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 110

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Running Board Mat Installation Advice
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
I am hoping someone here has installed running board mats on 39 / 40 Super 8 that could offer advice on this operation.

My concern is aligning the rows of little holes for the trim strip retainers to the recessed rows of slots in the rubber that the trim strips set in.

The other question is what is recommended to bond the mats to the running boards? I assume contact cement, but would like to be sure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Posted on: 2008/12/9 23:28
 Top  Print   

Re: Running Board Mat Installation Advice
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My advice on the adhesive would be to contact Steele Rubber and get their recommendation.

Posted on: 2008/12/9 23:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
O_D,

I suppose if no one has any advice on installation method or adhesive, I will have to contact Steele Rubber direct. I am sure they will have advice on the adhesive, but I am afraid probably very little advice on the actual installation. This looks a little tricky to align just right. This is a sizable investment, and I want to get it right, as once glued I will probably not get a second chance.

Thanks,
Jim

Posted on: 2008/12/10 21:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't pretend to know the shape or restrictions of what you're working with but on the alignment, would it be possible to glue half the mat at a time? Perhaps you could put some kind of pins into several of the holes to align and hold that half in position while the other part is glued then remove the pins and glue the second half.

Posted on: 2008/12/10 23:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Jim - We can discuss this when you are buying the beer, but short commentary involves a very hot day (shouldn't be a problem in PHX), some really good glue, a really big pile of clamps, some pre-measured and tested boards, alignment pins, and sandbags. And definitely a "dress rehearsal".

Posted on: 2008/12/11 0:02
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
One thing to add to everything previously suggested, use a slow drying adhesive (one with a long working time). Then you can move it around, make adjustments, work out the air bubbles, and clamp before the adhesive "kicks".

Posted on: 2008/12/11 0:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Thanks for the advice everyone. Sounds like there is consensus on the alignment pins. I will have to cut about 100 of them. Kev's idea about a manageable adhesive seems sensible.

David, sounds like you have done a round or two of pin the running board rubber on the Packard. We will have to talk about this.

Thanks guys,
Jim

Posted on: 2008/12/11 9:56
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Needy '36
See User information
I've never done this kind of running board job, BUT in the old days, formica installers would lay thin strips of bare wood between the formica and the countertop to keep the two contact cement-coated surfaces from touching.

Once the laminate was properly positioned, the wooden strips/sticks would be sequentially be pulled-out, thus lowering the formica onto the countertop, where it would be pressed tight.

Trying to "drop" an entire length of running board rubber into place without this technique sounds like an invite for a major headache! Bill.

Posted on: 2008/12/12 22:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Bill(needy36),
See you're a fairly recent member of Packardinfo. Know it's but could you please include your '36 1401 convertible coupe in the Owner's Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2008/12/13 0:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Mal - I've got an idea here, maybe you can discuss it with BigKev...instead of watchdogging for new members and inviting them to register their cars wherever you catch them, maybe BigKev can incorporate an invitation when they first register. That would save you a lot of time, as well as the certainty of invitation.

Posted on: 2008/12/13 0:25
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved