Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 209

BigKev, Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Wanted; Pair of Sedan tail light mounts 29 Packard
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

2T9-626
See User information
Im on the hunt for a pair of sedan tail light mounts for my 29. Whatever will fit from the 20's to early 30s.Any leads appreciated.

Posted on: 2023/2/2 18:48
 Top  Print   

Re: Wanted; Pair of Sedan tail light mounts 29 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
That car was built with a single tail light, brake, and reverse light combo on the drivers side. A lot of people add a second light by cutting the standard light stantion, turning it 180 degrees and welding it. Sometimes because they want turn signals, other times because think it looks cool, or because they think it is safer. For the latter I would add one of those brighter modern lights that can be removed for display if safety is the higher priority. The same goes for turn signals given the taillight is miniscule.

Attach file:

jpg  1929-Packard-640-R-1536x1152.jpg (240.20 KB)
373_63dd10f8a80ab.jpg 1536X1152 px

Posted on: 2023/2/3 8:49
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

2T9-626
See User information
I am well aware that the car only had 1 tail light. However In Canada you need turn signals. And this is the easier way of doing that instead of putting those god aweful looking orange marker lights or auxiliary lights.

Posted on: 2023/2/25 15:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
For what it is worth, I also am putting turn signals on my '37 120. For the front I am using the reflectors from Restoration Supply. It allows use of the parking lamp as a turn signal as well. Very subtle as you have to really look to see the orange bulb. They carry a number of diameters. If you are showing the car you could swap the original with these ones so you would not get hurt in points.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  Halogen Reflector Kits.jpg (166.59 KB)
225215_63fa7a91aab4f.jpg 1084X705 px

Posted on: 2023/2/25 16:16
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

2T9-626
See User information
Well see here's the 2nd part to the idea. I plan on using the factory tail light but adding a second one. Taking the glass in them and putting clear on the outside edge, red in the middle as per factory and orange on the inner most towards the gas tank. Then using the cowl lights for the front turn signals as here in Canada you aren't allowed "White headlight like lights" above headlight height. Running a double filament bulb so it would also act as the marker light when powered up along with the corresponding light in the tail light

Posted on: 2023/2/25 17:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Yes I am a fellow Canuck. Just so you know, the law you are referencing applies to vehicles built after 1951. Any type of auxiliary signal added to vehicles before that year are a bonus and not part of any regulation. People do not know hand signals anymore so you are very smart adding them!
Thanks!
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/2/25 19:04
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

2T9-626
See User information
In the manitoba safety hand book it doesn't refrence a year. Only place it refrences a year is the whole seatbelt thing. In which if the car was manufactured before January 1st 1971 or 73 you don't legally require them, or hazzard lights. However the big reason for me is safety but as well because it seems most people, police included don't fully know the laws. I was getting tickets for not having seatbelts in my bone stock 47 Chrysler and when I'd appeal them the judge would look at the year of the car and throw out the ticket.

Posted on: 2023/2/26 10:22
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Typical (but, not all), most states only require you to have the safety equipment the car was manufactured with.

Most of our cars are pre US DOT requirements.

So my 54 has no seat belts or side mirrors.

The 37 now has turn signals, but didn't orginally. Hand signals today would be confused for rude hand gestures.

But, still no seatbelts or side mirrors.

I'll probably add lap belts to the convertible just because its an open car.

Posted on: 2023/2/26 10:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
I like the concept of these wireless turn signals but they are a bit steep in price IMO. I should think a solid build version might be no more than $100.

I've debated some wireless bike signals as a way to add temporary signals at a budget price. These can be split apart so just a matter of mounting like with velcro straps.

I may end up building my own with a mix of old authentic parts and modern tech to control and be able to take off.

Posted on: 2023/2/26 20:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
On the AACA forums are these. If of interest?

Posted on: 2023/2/26 21:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved