Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 167

West Peterson, DJP-37-120, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

LED brake light/turn signal bar
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I just recently purchased a 1947 Custom Super Clipper. As you know, the rear brake lights and turn signals are not very bright. I have seen a couple of people who have installed an LED light bar in the rear window that clearly shows braking and turning for those who those cars. These bars can be placed in the window without modifying or damaging the weatherstripping or brightwork. My question is this: Is there any issue using these bars with a 6-volt system?
Click to see original Image in a new window

Attach file:

jpg  light bar.jpg (102.47 KB)
5003_65fc901d49483.jpg 2250X973 px

Posted on: 3/21 14:53
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Re: LED brake light/turn signal bar
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Likely yes, there may be issues at 6 volts. I've been successful with single LEDs on 6 volts, but not arrays. I have been looking at optically isolated ICs that can switch up to 3A on the load side, with only 5-10 mA required on the 6 volt input side. See Panasonic AQV252G. The plan is/was to let the 6 volt bulb circuit trigger the IC thus completing the 12 volt side circuit. A simple 6+ to 12- converter would be used to power the LEDs.

dp

Posted on: 3/21 15:21
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If that is the 6v bar from BrakeLighter which is sold by several vendors then it would work as a third brake light only on the 47. Several have used their product on other Packards and have reported no difficulty. Since it is an LED assy, polarity is important so do pay attention to that when hooking up the wires. If it is 12v or not the BrakeLigher bar then would need to see a wiring diagram to see if it would work for sure.

As to working with turn signals, the 47 still uses the early turn signal system which is sort of an add on stand alone. it shares the dual filament front park light bulb and lights the large filament same as later cars. Unlike later cars, turn signals are not integrated with brakes so do not share the same rear bulb and filament with the brake lights. The turn signals use separate wires and rear bulbs so you would not be able to tie the brake and turn signal wires directly together to power the bar without causing issues. The brake warning is more important so a single bar should be wired to the brakes. In that instance the bar will not indicate turns but will light as a third brake light only.

You could possibly use steering or blocking diodes to separate the two signals and power a single bar but the solid on brake signal would override everything. Turn signal flashes would not be visible as long as brake was on. IMO, it would be much easier and less chance of problems to buy a second bar. You could stack the two one above the other or place them end to end. Wiring the bars could be done in different ways depending on how you wanted the lights or functions to be presented.

Here is an extraction of the 47 turn signal circuit for future reference.

Attach file:

jpg  46-7 turn signal extraction.jpg (153.64 KB)
209_65fcdc135176f.jpg 1169X1295 px

Posted on: 3/21 15:46
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Craig the Clipper Man wrote: I just recently purchased a 1947 Custom Super Clipper......

Craig,

Don't forget to include your new '47 Custom Super Clipper in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 3/21 15:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
You might look into CarryBright on Amazon at Walmart for $60. Battery operated. No wiring.

Attach file:

png  IMG_6187.png (3,745.89 KB)
1067_65fcc202a08c5.png 1125X2436 px

Posted on: 3/21 18:26
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

William Grosz
See User information
I used two brakelighters in the rear window of my 47 7 passenger.
I split the hookup so that the center most half of each acts as the brake/parking light and the outer half as the turn signal. White on the driver's side for turn signal and black wire on the passenger side for turn signals and the opposite order for the brakelight. I apologize for the passenger side one hanging down I used the suction cup mounting for easy removal and they come undone after setting for a while.

Posted on: 3/21 18:56
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I did jump to the conclusion that the product in post #1 was designed for a 12 volt negative ground system, and the wiring features a singular negative ground lead. With two turn signals and a brake light that would be three wires plus a common ground. I think I see five wires, red, green, yellow, black, and white, so the bar may also have a running light connection . . . still a common ground, which if it is indeed a 12V-, polarity sensitive LED accessory, it would be difficult to install on a 6 volt positive ground system without additional circuitry (switched positive). I see on William Grosz’s solution both the positive and negative leads are available, which would be suitable for either polarity.

All of that aside, Craig, how long is this light bar?

dp

Posted on: 3/21 19:19
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
Those lights I embedded and put together like I posted here awhile back:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=254531

The only real issue I have had is checking the charge before a drive-- the remote will beep but that doesn't mean the light part is charged and working. The remote straps nicely to the gear shifter as well. I've tested whether these will work while "charging" on a small power bank and they will so I'm going to basically do a similar strap for the pack to attach to the backside of the bumper and plug the lights in to the bank. It's easier to keep a power bank with charge since it holds more juice and plug these in when driving. Still makes it nice to unstrap for car shows so the hack doesn't stay on there and I like the originality of the car.

Posted on: 3/21 20:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
The light bars come in different sizes. I am trying to find one compatible with a 6-volt system, so I don't have a specific one picked out yet.

Posted on: 3/22 13:48
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are interested in the BrakeLighter product it is sold by Watson's and some of the other street rod places.

Posted on: 3/22 14:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved