Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 224

JW49, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Just bought a 1937 120-C touring
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

willits18
See User information
I just purchased a 1937 120-C touring sedan from a club members widow. The car is in overall good shape. One thing I found interesting was that the front turn signals are incorporated into the headlights! Was this a common practice with all manufacturers or just Packard? I have never seen this before, however, this is the first pre-war car I have owned. Can we still buy replacements for those? The rear turn signals are two add on lights like they used to put on the trucks in the 40s and 50s. Just curious. I'm sure I will have more questions as work progresses. Thanks, Tracy.

Posted on: 3/22 13:18
 Top  Print   

Re: Just bought a 1937 120-C touring
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Packard didn’t have turn signals in 1937 so possibly that was one owner’s way of adding them without adding hard to find fender lights.

Posted on: 3/22 13:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think someone doing this unusual placement in the headlight bucket using what I am assuming is the stock parking light socket location was mentioned on the forum once before and it may be the same car.

Packard turned the parking lights off as soon as headlights turned on so visibility was not an issue. I was curious then and still am as to whether the front turn signals will be very visible at night if lights are on. I would think trying to see them would risk looking directly at a bright light and with some states being really fussy about visibility, just wondering how the car compares to others where the turn signals were placed in separate modern motorcycle housings hanging below the headlight buckets or in the hard to find fender assys.

Posted on: 3/22 14:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I would be interested to know if any automaker integrated turn signals directly into the headlights. As far as I know, such things indicate an aftermarket installation without a doubt.

Posted on: 3/22 14:27
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

willits18
See User information
There are fog lights as well. At first I thought they were the from turn signals, but after turning the signals on and discovering that they are inside of the headlights I discovered that the fog lights are not hooked up.

Posted on: 3/22 16:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Restoration Supply was offering a Halogen Reflector Kit for both 6V and 12V. Maybe a previous owner used this set up. I think Big Kev was looking into these but found that they are no longer available. The following text is form their catalog:

Halogen Reflector Kits
Chrome plated brass and die stamped. Fitted with modern replaceable halogen high/low beam headlamps.
The “without turn signal” kits come with 2 reflectors with special sockets installed, 2 halogen bulbs, 2 electrical
connector plugs and 2 gaskets. The “with turn signals” kits come with the above, but also includes an installed
parking lamp dual-contact sockets and 2 replaceable dual-filament amber bulbs. These parking lights can also
support turn signal operation. Reflector diameters are measured across total width or widest part of flange.
Diameter is measured to the outside of the mounting flange.

Posted on: 3/22 16:57
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

willits18
See User information
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 3/22 17:21
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

willits18
See User information
At first I was thinking about wiring the turn signals into the fog lights. After careful consideration I don't think that would be a good idea.

Posted on: 3/22 17:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G,day willits18,

PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry would love to your '37 115C Touring Sedan to its pages!

Posted on: 3/22 17:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I replaced the parking lights in my headlights with different sockets that turned them into turn signals.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 3/22 18:07
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved