Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
28 user(s) are online (22 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 26

PackardSanta, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

I've got the Thermostat Blues!
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Frogmagic
See User information
I thought changing out the thermostat would be a nice, straightforward task as a first job with the newly acquired 1950, 2301 Regular Eight Touring Sedan. (I will register soon) When the housing was removed there was no retaining collar present! I am therefore looking to acquire one or an entire subsystem. Kanter does not have any nor a one-piece replacement they once offered. They gave me a part number PAC 348537. Might there be dimensions available to have machined into existence?

On this www.Packardonfo.com does a list of qualified vendors exist for when a search like this is required? Amazon and ebay also do not have these parts. What are your thoughts on a modern one-piece system? Does one exist for this car? I humbly ask for your assistance in helping locate what I need to get my 'blooper' back on the road. I want this car to be a regular driver and not a show car.

I believe these are the part numbers taken off a Packard Parts List from this site:

Thermostat housing - 5.0508

Thermostat - 5.0506

Retaining Collar - 5.0507

Gasket (paper?) - 5.0509 (Should I consider a cork gasket as the mating surface of the housing is a bit rough?)

Thank you very much.

Posted on: 5/7 20:03
 Top  Print   

Re: I've got the Thermostat Blues!
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There are vendors listed in the Directory.

For new parts, Max Merrit would be you best bet.

Many of other vendors have good use parts and some NOS.

Posted on: 5/7 20:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Frogmagic wrote:
I thought changing out the thermostat would be a nice, straightforward task as a first job with the newly acquired 1950, 2301 Regular Eight Touring Sedan. (I will register soon) When the housing was removed there was no retaining collar present! I am therefore looking to acquire one or an entire subsystem. Kanter does not have any nor a one-piece replacement they once offered. They gave me a part number PAC 348537. Might there be dimensions available to have machined into existence?

On this www.Packardonfo.com does a list of qualified vendors exist for when a search like this is required? Amazon and ebay also do not have these parts. What are your thoughts on a modern one-piece system? Does one exist for this car? I humbly ask for your assistance in helping locate what I need to get my 'blooper' back on the road. I want this car to be a regular driver and not a show car.

I believe these are the part numbers taken off a Packard Parts List from this site:

Thermostat housing - 5.0508

Thermostat - 5.0506

Retaining Collar - 5.0507

Gasket (paper?) - 5.0509 (Should I consider a cork gasket as the mating surface of the housing is a bit rough?)

Thank you very much.

My housing was a bit rough as well and I used the regular gasket with some Permatex 2 sealant. That was a year ago and all has been well. Also, if 51 is like 53, which I would guess it is, the bolts for the thermostat housing need to be sealed as well as they go through to the water jacket.

Posted on: 5/7 20:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Frogmagic wrote:e......newly acquired 1950, 2301 Regular Eight Touring Sedan. (I will register soon).....

Looking forward to seeing it in the Registry, thermostat or not.

Posted on: 5/7 21:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
These are hard to find in usable condition even for the later cars. I was lucky to find one barely usable from Gerry at Packards Southwest for my 1951 in spite already having several for the era in my stock. I have prewar ones too but I doubt any are usable without considerable work. So many Packards parts are easy to find but these were never properly reproduced to my knowledge so they remain elusive. I did buy some NOS retainers a few years back but even those may be sold out by now through the dealers.

Posted on: 5/8 11:45
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Frogmagic
See User information
Thanks BigKev. I assumed the Directory was a listing of members, not businesses. My Bad!

Posted on: 5/8 15:45
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Frogmagic
See User information
Thank you!

Posted on: 5/8 15:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
These are hard to find in usable condition even for the later cars. I was lucky to find one barely usable from Gerry at Packards Southwest for my 1951 in spite already having several for the era in my stock. I have prewar ones too but I doubt any are usable without considerable work. So many Packards parts are easy to find but these were never properly reproduced to my knowledge so they remain elusive. I did buy some NOS retainers a few years back but even those may be sold out by now through the dealers.

What part number is this we are talking about that could be reproduced?

Posted on: 5/8 16:24
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The earlier models used a spacer sleeve to hold the thermostat in place vs the wire retainer that the later cars used.

I thought at one time in the past, one of the PI regions made a bronze version. But many of those projects have disappeared.

Any new version would need to rust resistant, like bronze.

It's not a complicated part. It probably could be made simply from just a section of appropriate diameter copper pipe.

Posted on: 5/8 17:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Looks like 351536 and 348537. Can't imagine it's too hard.

I'll see if I can pull those drawings this weekend.

Posted on: 5/8 19:08
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved