Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
An interesting observation, it's a relatively late 2252 by production # but has the earlier style multi-piece front bumper which was replaced during the production run by a single piece bumper, same one as used in the 23rd series Customs. Total production for the 22nd series Custom 8 sedan and club sedan combined was only 5935 as 1948 models, and 2989 as 1949 models.

Bob Neal is researching for a book on the 48-50 models and has been dealing quite a bit with the issue of left-over 1948 cars renumbered and sold as 1949s. I sent him your #s and we'll see if he has any comments. If so, I'll add a PS to this post.

I'd be interesting in knowing which style patent (VN) plate it has; earlier 22nd series Customs had the prewar style with a place for the selling dealer's name and delivery date, later ones omitted that and had space for paint and trim codes.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 14:01
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joe W
See User information
Hmmm!

Early model multi-piece bumper. And engine number seems to indicate that it was in the first batch of 1500 engines produced for the model. If the numbers were used in sequence and began with G-600001. And yet the body number and vin code says that it was made either real late 1948 or early 1949.

I'll be looking for that PS, thanks

Posted on: 2009/7/22 14:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's a relatively early thief-proof number as well. But we do know that none of these numbers tracked in an exact 1:1 correspondence to production, I've observed quite a bit of scatter in the 2 dozen or so 2252 data sets I've obtained. But the Briggs body tag on the "true" 1949 22nd series cars have the -9- in the number. So I'm betting it's a renumbered car. That in no way should detract from the value or it's originality, that was just Packard's shenigans, and Chrysler did exactly the same thing 46 thru early 49.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 15:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Joe W wrote:......If it all pans out and I do buy it, I will definitely post the car to the registry.

G'day Joe,
to PackardInfo. I bought my '41 120 off eBay back in '07 and, when requested, the seller provided a lot of additional pic's. Because I'm in Australia and the Coupe was in Idaho I was very nervous about buying through eBay without having seen it in person because my main concern was the body condition, specifically rust. You do hear some "horror stories" about eBay or sight unseen buys and this fell into both categories. Then the seller offered that if I was the successful bidder I would pay the specified non-refundable deposit of $500.00 on eBay with the balance payable on inspection of the vehicle, if I was satisfied as to it's condition. Seemed like a reasonable offer, although it cost me a trip to the US but I was going to do that anyway. Well, as is obvious, it all worked out well and I'm now the proud owner of a '41 120 Coupe.
And for the Registry offer, now I won't have to go into my usual spiel about including your '49 if, but I hope when, you buy it.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 15:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
So it could be an early production car that remained unsold and was renumbered?

Wire wheels were not available at that time but a few years later they were used on Caribbeans. These had to be used with tubes. If you examine the valve stems closely you can see the difference between a tube and a tubeless valve.

Today you can buy tubeless wire wheels but they have only been available since the 80s.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 15:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
So it could be an early production car that remained unsold and was renumbered?

Yes, could well be. When I get back from Warren on Sunday I'll take a closer look at the 2252 data and see what can be deduced.

PS - just took a closer look at the underhood shot and saw something I see all too often and that is pretty scary. Take a look at the battery cut-off switch - he didn't put it on the ground post as it should be, and look how close the naked metal switch is to the (grounded) battery hold down bracket. If they ever touch...... it could be "good bye nice car". Why do so many people make this simple mistake?

Posted on: 2009/7/22 16:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Joe, I have 4 wheels for sale ,if you need them, if you get the car. the wheels were removed from a 1948 custom with 63000 miles. Good luck

Posted on: 2009/7/22 20:25
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joe W
See User information
Dallas,

Thank you for the offer. I would like to talk with you some more about them if I get this car. Would that include the hubcaps as well?

Owen,

Chances are that this seller doesn't understand this car and was simply following the directions that came with the cutoff switch. How many cars are on the road today that have a positive ground system? If this deal goes through I'll trailer the car home, disconnecting the battery and fix that issue once I am back. And I am looking forward to what pieces of information you can discover, thanks for the efforts.

I went back to the Ebay listing and was looking at the pictures of the undercarriage again and noticed two things. First, the engine looks like it is angled to the frame? And in the sideways shot looking at the panhard rod, it looks to be bent. Can anyone tell me it both things are normal.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 8:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
It looks as if the panhard rod got a good smack from below. The rod on my '50 is straight. Also, the engine appears to be missing the carburetor heat shield which isn't uncommon but the wrapping on the fuel line leading to the carburetor could indicate an existing heat/fuel problem.

I was surprised to see the undercarriage splash shields still attached to the car. They are almost always missing due to lazy mechanics in years past.

I don't see the engine being askew... maybe someone else will.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 10:33
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joe W
See User information
Thanks, I double checked myself on the engine and it seems okay. I wonder how hard it would be to get another panhard rod? Especially one with a shock absorber in it. Probably not that hard. Same with the heat shield I would suspect. Didn't realize that there was supposed to be one there, thanks for the information. Makes sense seeing as how that line comes up right alongside of the exhaust manifold.

I guess I need to get off the pot and make the deal. Been playing around with this long enough. I doubt I'll find a better car for this price anywhere, unless it's been neglected and in need of expensive replacement and repair.

Thanks to all of you for the help and information. You have been very generous and helpful.

Joe

Posted on: 2009/7/23 10:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved