Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 127

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

dash lights on the 22nd series
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
For a while, I had an 8 volt battery in our '48. I had really great headlights but I kept burning out dash lights. I have gone back to the 6 volt and now want to replace lights in the dash. Because of the "flight glow "feature, will the clear bulbs I use in my '47 work or was there a special bulb that gave out the black light effect? If so, who has them? Thanks, Tommy

Posted on: 2009/8/28 22:58
 Top  Print   

Re: dash lights on the 22nd series
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The bulbs in my '50 are regular, clear bulbs. I think there may be UV filters that the light goes through before it gets to the fluorescent numerics and pointers.

Edit: Yep, it's a filter. Part no. 410718 All 22nd; 23rd - FILTER-INST CLUSTER BLACK LIGHT. 8 per car.

Posted on: 2009/8/28 23:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
There are black plastic covers over the dash bulbs that make "black" light. The next time you pull a dash bulb, stick your pinky gently in the hole and you can feel the cover.

Posted on: 2009/8/28 23:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
3packs wrote:......in our '48......in my '47......Tommy

G'day Tommy,
to PackardInfo. Looks like you've already got your answer from some of the knowledgeable Packard people here.

Now here's a request of you - Could you please include your '47 and '48 in the Owner Registry here, together with pic's, any known history and how you acquired them?

And BigKev,

Could you please move this thread to the Post War forum?

Posted on: 2009/8/29 0:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Will do.

Posted on: 2009/8/29 1:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2009/8/29 1:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wonder how well the filters held up and what they are made of. Most of the colored plastics for turn signal or headlight indicators in the dashes I've had apart have faded terribly from old age and the heat of the bulbs. IIRC when new, wasn't illumination actually a very dim purple with no sign of white light and the glo paint made only the lettering stand out brightly and almost nothing else could be seen??

Posted on: 2009/8/29 9:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
IIRC when new, they were actually a very dim purple with no sign of white light but the glo paint made only the lettering stand out brightly??

That's my recollection based on a 1950 Custom 8 I owned back about 1959 or 60; kind of a purple glow with brilliant green letters and numerals, very easy to read at night though my eyes were about a half-century younger! By the time I bought another about 15 years later, it was no where's as easy to read at night though I still had pretty good vision. I guess the Radium salt had a relatively short half-life?

Posted on: 2009/8/29 9:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
HH56 - You remember correctly. Currently the numbers still glow pretty well on my '50 but the pointer on the speedometer and the hands on the clock are barely visible at night. I saw Turbopackman's item on a source for fluorescent paint and may see if that helps. I think my first car, a 1952 Studebaker, also used the ultraviolet type illumination.

Posted on: 2009/8/29 9:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks, been lots of years since seeing one up close when on.

The paint Eric found seems OK for the needles --maybe-- but wonder how one would go about doing a bigger job on a restoration with cracked or flaked off numerals.

Unless truly the artistic type, would think without some kind of silkscreen that trying to paint the numerals and have it decent would be a very frustrating experience. Uneven lines from brush or density of application and new paint vs old seems would make things worse so would almost have to do the entire assy.

Wonder if the filters are still available or if a modern type could be found or fabricated.

Posted on: 2009/8/29 9:56
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved