Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 225

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Saga of Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
In the early 1970's after seeing an ad for Packard Electric, then a division of General Motors, I wrote a letter to Packard Electric, asking them if they had any relation to the Packard Motorcar Company. They were kind enough to respond with a letter stating that their company was founded by the same Packard family who founded the Packard Motor Car Company. They also included with their letter a photostatic copy of a 107 page typewritten document entitled "The Saga of Packard-Some Notes on the First Half Century of America's Oldest Continuous Maker of Automobiles Under a Single Management- 1899-1949 -'Ask the Man Who Owns One'". The document I have appears to be a photostatic copy of a typewritten in-house document produced by the Packard Motor Car Company, probably in relationship to Packard's golden anniversary, and lists no author. The Kimes' book appears to list this document in the bibliography and lists as its author one Fred W. Adams. A little internet research shows that one Fred W. Adams born on July 11, 1910 who died on November 15, 1990 is reported to have been named Director of Advertising and Public Relation for the Packard Motor Car Company in 1942 and was named Director of Advertising of the American Motors Company in 1953. Does anybody know if this document was broadly published and/or distributed by Packard in 1949? Does anybody know if this document was ever published and/or distributed giving credit to Fred W. Adams as the author? If anybody knows anything about how this document was produced and by whom, I would appreciate it. Also, my copy does not have pages 73 and 74 dealing with the topics "Russians Love Packards" and "Royal Packard Owners" so if anyone could provide me with a copy of those two pages, I would appreciate it. If copyright law permits, I would like to scan this document and make it more widely available to Packard lovers.
kens53clip

Posted on: 2011/1/24 15:25
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Saga of Packard
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

A man who owns one!
See User information
That's amazing! I hope that it works out we all can read it online one day. Makes you wonder what's on 73 and 74.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 17:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
Yes, it is kind of frustrating missing those two pages. That is why I am asking if anyone has them.
kens53clip

Posted on: 2011/1/25 9:21
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

tpced
See User information
If memory serves, Mr. Adams' wife was having an affair with PMCC President Max Gilman in 1941-42. She was riding with Gilman when he had that automobile accident in January 1942 that ended his career at Packard. Gilman and Mrs. Adams later married.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 11:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
I seem to recall that Mr. Gilman resigned from Packard as a result of the incident. Things like that were not done by respectable people in management back then, at least insofar as Packard was concerned. I did not remember that it involved a Mrs. Adams. Boy, that would be tough! If so, Mr. Adams apparently remarried, as my information shows he was survived by a spouse.
kens53clip

Posted on: 2011/1/25 12:38
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day tpced,
First post, but long time member, so a belated to PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 14:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Apparently the Saga of Packard was published as a book. What you might have there is a copy of the manuscript, which could have historical value.

It might be tough to get a copy though... I found two libraries in the U.S. that have it, The Ohio Historical Society and Columbia University Library in NY:

http://www.worldcat.org/title/saga-of-packard-some-notes-on-the-first-half-century-of-americas-oldest-continuous-maker-of-automobiles-under-a-single-management-1899-1949/oclc/39147012&referer=brief_results

This quest for the missing pages may turn into a Saga of its own!

Posted on: 2011/1/25 20:13
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Ken, you will like it (see attached extracts of this book):

Click to see original Image in a new window

"Ask the Man Who Owns One": An Illustrated History of Packard Advertising by Arthur W. Einstein

Hardcover: 282 pages
Publisher: McFarland (September 10, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0786447737
ISBN-13: 978-0786447732
Product Dimensions: 10.1 x 7 x 0.8 inches

[source: Amazon.com]

--> read more

Quote:
...If copyright law permits, I would like to scan this document and make it more widely available to Packard lovers...

According to Murphy's law it was clear to me that the page "Russians Love Packards" is missing.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.33 KB)
757_4d3f8693bdba8.jpg 581X459 px

jpg  (19.34 KB)
757_4d3f86a97ef6e.jpg 636X470 px

jpg  (12.00 KB)
757_4d3f86c490d2e.jpg 571X326 px

Posted on: 2011/1/25 21:28
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
According to the Ohio Historical Society's Library web page your two missing pages will only cost you $5.50 and up to a thirty day wait.

As for scanning it for PInfo, I believe normal copyright restrictions expire after 75 years. In this case, Saga appears to be an unpublished work so you shouldn't have any problems reproducing it for public viewing.

I hope to see it here soon!

Posted on: 2011/1/25 23:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
Thanks, Guy and Gusha,
Very helpful information. The way I figure it, if Packard is entitled to the copyright, I can probably post it.
The argument for Packard ownership is that it was put out by Packard without the name of the author and the author was working for Packard when he wrote it, so it may well be Packard's work product. If Fred Adams is entitled to the copyright, I probably should get permission from his family, if possible. There is a bit of the Russian section that I have, Guscha. Perhaps I can send it to you for use in your Doctoral thesis you are doing on Russian Packards. I am sure you will give credit where credit is due. Fair use doctrine exception to copyright law, understand.
kens53clip

Posted on: 2011/1/26 0:00
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved