Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 168

TxGoat, John Sauser, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Found this in the oil pan.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dave Merrick
See User information
Dropped the oil pan on the 327 in the '51 300.
This was embedded in the sludge at the bottom.

Anyone know what this is?

Attach file:

jpg  (33.89 KB)
3256_4d8666eb6b73b.jpg 640X478 px

jpg  (30.40 KB)
3256_4d8666fc0a536.jpg 640X478 px

Posted on: 2011/3/20 15:44
----------------
1951 Packard 300 (2472)
"Built to outlast them all..."
 Top  Print   

Re: Found this in the oil pan.
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
At first I thought it was a fragment from valve keeper that were commonly dropped into the pan by fat-fingered grease monkeys. But they don't look like the ones I found in my pan.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.65 KB)
1_4d86682fb1fd0.jpg 478X359 px

Posted on: 2011/3/20 15:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
It's difficult to gauge the size, but are you missing the splash guard from the bottom of your oil filler tube?

Attach file:

jpg  (35.98 KB)
188_4d866d4de83a6.jpg 845X515 px

Posted on: 2011/3/20 15:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
with JD, looks like the metal flap at the bottom of the filler tube.

Posted on: 2011/3/20 16:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
At first I thought it was a fragment from valve keeper that were commonly dropped into the pan by fat-fingered grease monkeys. But they don't look like the ones I found in my pan.

You don't have to be "fat fingered" to drop one or more, many of us (myself included) have done it, especially on the two center valves on an engine with the 4-bbl carburetor - pretty close quarters in there if you're doing it with the manifolds mounted.

Good lesson for folks contemplating their first valve job with the oil pan still installed - use small corks or rags to plug the oil return holes so you can't loose them into the pan. Also installing the springs/keepers on the two extreme end and center valves first gives you a bit more room to work.

Sure looks like JD in KC has identified the item in the crankcase. Not certain but I'd bet that if you mount the tube 180 degrees turned from the way it should be, you could run into clearance problems with a crank counterweight which could have broken it off.

Posted on: 2011/3/20 17:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
IT strikes me as odd that the flapper is hanging OUTside of the tube! Should it not be to the INside of the tube????

If it was originaly designed to go outside then i think it would be prudent modification to bend it to the INside of the tube even if it required some trimming of the flapper.

Mite make adding oil to engine a bit slow but much safer to avoid breakage of the flapper.

If designed by the factory to hang OUTside then it was a very poor eng'ring decision.

Posted on: 2011/3/20 19:29
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

calcustom8
See User information
It looks to me like one of those little lids that you lift to add a drop of oil to the generator bearings.

Posted on: 2011/3/20 20:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
...Not certain but I'd bet that if you mount the tube 180 degrees turned from the way it should be, you could run into clearance problems with a crank counterweight which could have broken it off...

The filler tube on my '41 is mounted backwards. I just noticed it yesterday. I will be dropping the pan later this spring and we'll see...

Posted on: 2011/3/20 21:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
On models where the oil filler cap is indexed to the tube and uses the cap with the fresh air inlet slot, mounting it backwards really inhibits the action of the crankcase ventilation system - not good for the engine in the long run.

UPDATE: Though it's incorrect on this 23rd series Custom 8, the air draft tube shows why the cap slot is intended to face forward. It (draft tube) was added 41 thru 47 (seniors only) to insure air flow thru the crankcase ventilation system even while the car was idling. It was added shortly after the 356 engine came out in 1940 when evidence showed the short oil fill tube, blocked by the oil filter, inhibited crankcase ventilation. Longer fill tube, new cap, and draft tube was a running change. It was not used after the 21st series.

Attach file:

jpg  (153.90 KB)
177_4d875ce47b7c7.jpg 1500X1001 px

Posted on: 2011/3/20 23:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I agree with the item being the flap at the end of the filler tube. Let me know if you need another tube - I have a spare on the shelf.

Posted on: 2011/3/23 22:06
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved