Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 162

moodydavid16, Don B, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 327 Manifold Gaskets
Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
I thought my car was a little loud so I put new Manifold Gaskets on yesterday.How can you torque them? I can not get a socket in their.I found out it might be heat riser making noise. Is their o-rings for heat riser?Is the torque different with the new gaskets vs old gaskets?

Posted on: 2011/4/4 16:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
walkerman wrote:......I found out it might be heat riser making noise......
Found out yesterday that the exhaust noise in my '41 120 is coming from there, similar setup. Below is a pic of the 48 - 54 gasket.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.51 KB)
226_4d9a44ea347e1.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/4/4 17:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
I did put a new hot spot gasket in .I think it leaking out of the shaft holes for the heat riser. Can I take out heat riser and weld up the holes. I live in Florida.

Still do not know how to torque them

Posted on: 2011/4/4 19:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I agree that in FL you can easily do without the heat riser, but welding the holes shut doesn't strike me as a great idea. And there can be some risks in welding cast iron if you're not familiar with the process. Why not just run a piece of threaded rod thru the chamber and put a circle of gasket material or heat wrap, washer and nut on each end? Or at the worst, tap the holes and put in a threaded plug? You may make some futue owner a lot happier.

Posted on: 2011/4/4 19:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
I was thinking about brazing the holes from the inside,so the holes would still show from the outside and can be drilled out later. I do like the all thread idea also.

Posted on: 2011/4/4 20:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Drive a piece of SS tubing thru it like the intake manifold ckoke tube is installed. The problem with a bolt all the way thru the exhaust is that it gets so hot that the expansion with eventualy stretch the bolt. A piece of tubing like the choke stove tube will allow for expansion and contraction. BE CAREFUL not to drive too hard. Cast iron breaks. Shouldn't have any trouble tho.

If u decide to use a bolt then be sure to use stover nut. There is no such lock washer that will hold up to the heat. The heat will loosen any standard nut pretty quick.

Posted on: 2011/4/4 21:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I emailed Packard International to see how to order and they said they handed that business over to Max Merritt.

I saw this interesting gasket for 48-50:

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?Parta~ShowPicTxt~Z5Z5Z50000022d~Z5Z5Z5DAAIG~Z5Z5Z51

Looks promissing because it would seem to avoid bunching around the studs...anyone use it?

Also, why is it only 48-50? I have a 53 block and a 50 manifold, could there be a mismatch there for some of us mixing parts?

I also see these for 48-54:
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?Parta~ShowPicTxt~Z5Z5Z50000022d~Z5Z5Z5DAAIH~Z5Z5Z51

Which is the better choice, or is only one correct for a 53 327/50 2bbl manifold?

Posted on: 2011/4/5 18:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The first appears to be a 6 cyl if a complete set is shown and also has different exhaust pipe flange gasket.
Second has the later type exhaust flange ring.

Posted on: 2011/4/5 18:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That first listing is for the 356 engine which had recesses cast into the block to receive the little spigots on the gaskets

Posted on: 2011/4/5 18:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A question. I don't see that group or part number for the 48-54 hot spot gasket in the parts manual and the service manual says there is no gasket. Was this gasket eliminated or was it a late addition?

Attach file:

jpg  (5.90 KB)
209_4d9bb0fe4b3af.jpg 245X109 px

jpg  (20.30 KB)
209_4d9bb1072f690.jpg 526X186 px

Posted on: 2011/4/5 19:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved