Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
190 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 189

Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

The single best survivor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Couldn't help but notice that there are 4 200s on ebay this evening. You could have all 4 of them for $5000 or so. Then I pondered the eight I have owned from time to time--some for parts, some restored, some made into pickups or otherwise modified. And I quickly counted up another 13 or 14 I am aware of. All 51 and 52 touring and club sedans. I can't imagine any other early fifties car having such a survival rate. I know I run in odd circles , and this is anecdotal but it does seem extraordinary.

In any event, a lot of folks thought they were worth hanging onto cause they are still here. I have certainly enjoyed mine; easy and fun to drive--people, luggage and mechanic friendly. Too bad they have all the resale value of used Kleenex. They are very good at being cars but not at being objects of desire.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 20:38
 Top  Print   

Re: The single best survivor
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Too bad they have all the resale value of used Kleenex. They are very good at being cars but not at being objects of desire.

Fortunately for those wanting one, that statement could be said of a lot of the postwar Packards. Unfortunately for those selling one, that statement could be said for a lot of the postwar Packards.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 20:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
As the owner of a 53 Clipper (a 200 by another name) I am similarly surprised by the number of those that seem to have survived. Suppose the same thing could be said for the 54 Clipper. Either just good cars or people just liked them enough to save them. Maybe one or the other or some combination of both. Market value on the cars seems to have little if anything to do with it. It has long been the mantra that if you are buying a Packard you should buy a senior model but the juniors keep hanging in there. Looking back further, I suppose you could say the pre-war junior 110s, 115s, and 120s suffered similarly, but now have a better status. I for one hope the postwar juniors will similarly get more respect as time goes on.
Ken

Posted on: 2011/6/19 21:12
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Prewar/Postwar Junior or Senior, still one hell of a car. My friend Carl Schneider drove a 50's Clipper on the Peking-to- Paris race. Car performed as a Packard should on some very difficult terrain.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 21:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
I suppose I have to second that emotion, Ken.

Ross, not sure if I mentioned it, but after your service on my car just before the MD Orphan Tour, she drove the tour route beautifully, up and down mountain roads, over gravel and grass and highways. I haven't had her out since due to my work schedule but she may pull wedding duty this weekend as the photo/"getaway" car.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 21:47
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
As a '37 115 owner, I will say that the beauty of the Jr Packard is the same now as it was in 1935 all the way up to 1956- they allow people to own a Packard at a price a little closer to Chevy. I'd love to a own a big beautiful Sr. Packard, but it's not an investment I can afford to make right now, but I can afford a 115.

Wishing I could buy them all!

Posted on: 2011/6/19 21:56
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...And I quickly counted up another 13 or 14 I am aware of...

Ross, I believe that your neighbors would be less quick in counting Packards they are aware of. Our environment perception and brand awareness works selective. The old lady living next door could show you without thinking too much 21 gardens with roses in the immediate vicinity and would be surprised that you don't know all of them. Her aunt sorts single-family-homes in houses with and houses without nice curtains whereas her fat poodle divides the world in eatable and uneatable.

A certain person categorizes Packards in already registered and still to register ...

Attach file:

jpg  (45.55 KB)
757_4dff312c8b3ba.jpg 500X376 px

Posted on: 2011/6/20 5:44
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
A certain person categorizes Packards in already registered and still to register ...[/quote]
Gerd,

Don't camoflage it!

Shout it from the roof tops - Put your Packard in the Packard Owners Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2011/6/20 18:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Put your Packard in the Packard Owners Registry here on PackardInfo!

Click to see original Image in a new window

(Sorry Ross, I was ordered to do that.)

Attach file:

jpg  (18.54 KB)
757_4dffe8ec7114e.jpg 800X329 px

Posted on: 2011/6/20 19:45
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
That's the spirit Gerd!
Ross, sorry for the diversion.

Posted on: 2011/6/20 22:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved