Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: oil bath air cleaner
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hi packard1949, I have both a '51 and '53 Packard with oil bath cleaners. Neither is stored at my home.....so my question is will the referenced Puralator filter fit both the '51 and '53 too??

Posted on: 2012/2/9 13:39
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Believe you will find that the 356s came with skirted filters.

Posted on: 2012/2/9 13:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
That would make sense based on what I have. I wish there were more under-hood pictures to look at.

Posted on: 2012/2/9 13:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Here are some photos of the air cleaner off of my 47 Clipper Custom's 356 engine. They show the use of the modern pleated paper air filter element. It was changed not to increase air flow, but rather to make servicing easier. The center element has been saved and the unit can be converted back to an oil bath type in just a few minutes. Nothing permanently changed. The photos show the skirt feature which has been discussed above.

(o[]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (33.20 KB)
565_4f34208cbee5f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.77 KB)
565_4f34209d62c77.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.12 KB)
565_4f3420ab15825.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/2/9 14:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Very cool!

Posted on: 2012/2/9 17:22
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Um - Oh oh

If you sandblast the silencer then the unit is junk. Nothing bigger than 5-10 microns should be going into the silencer. Sand will go into the motor. Rust and paint should be removed using chemicals and captive abrasion (sandpaper). The intake and outlets should be sealed as well.

This type of air filter is a three stage system.

First visible particulates (50 microns) are slung off via the radiator fan. Second the air must change direction twice before entering the filter medium. Third the filter medium collects the remainder.

The paper idea is fine but really needs a foam seal on the top and bottom to prevent leaks. Paper can collect down to the under 5 micron range.

Posted on: 2012/2/9 18:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I cut off the portion fitting over the carb, removing about 3/8" all the way around. Took it to my favorite muffler shop - they welded the cut down portion back on and had it back on the car in about 10 minutes. Now some paint and it should be ready to go!

Posted on: 2012/2/11 10:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
I am modifying my 52 w/ a 327 to accept a 4 bbl carb .I found a 53 4 BBL INTAKE so far ,and since I currently have a 2 bbl carb ,will need to get a new aircleaner ,Are the 53's air cleaners copper bottom? I think that looks great and would strip it and spray on some clear acrylic to keep it from turning green

Posted on: 2012/2/14 3:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
The oil bath air cleaner that I modified was from a 50 288 - don't know about the newer models. Just don't get too aggressive with the sandpaper, as you can sand thru the copper coating. Also, any good chrome shop could copper plate it for you as well.

Posted on: 2012/2/14 10:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
The advice above to use a paper element is excellent as it protects our engines better than the oil bath yet doesn't alter stock appearance. If you have a 1940-50 356, a Wicks # 87055 fits in our oil bath air cleaners as though it were tailor made; perfect, precise fit. Any decent parts house can interchange the Wicks # to another brand.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 18:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved