Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 231

Ozstatman, Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 327 L8 dual intake manifold ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
Thanks for the info. It appeared to have an adapter for a 4 to 2 bbl..........

Posted on: 2012/3/20 9:08
It is what it is....
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2012/3/20 15:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Hi Its head gasket time so I was fantasizing about an edmunds aluminum head for my 51 327 with hydrolic lifters ,its alread .006 over so it must have been rebuilt a couple of times in its 72000 life unless its from another car ,I dont think it is original as far as I can fifure out it wasnt offered in a 200 for 51
i already did the 53 4 bbl carb switch which worked like a charm except for some transmission linkage issues and having to can the starter on the floor for an ignition switch

heres my question ,which is more better ,shave the original head ? get a 288 head, or continue to search for the grail and find an edmunds

Posted on: 2013/2/8 13:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not that it means anything today, but in 1950 Packard didn't like milled heads just to raise compression. I'd also be concerned if yours might have already been milled to it's maximum. Another poster recently found out the hard way that without knowing the history, a tiny bit more off can push things over the edge.

Swapping to the 288 head on a 327 was perfectly respectable though. Finding a good Edmunds might be an experience - and expensive - but at least if successful you would have a conversation starter. Just remember to do a dry test for valve clearance on any new heads.

Attach file:

jpg  (61.20 KB)
209_51154a0a2ab02.jpg 723X355 px

Posted on: 2013/2/8 13:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Hello I saw your note that you have a 288 edmonds head ,
I have a 52 with a 327 ,it has hydrolic lifters .i did the 4 bbl intake/4 bbl carb mod which was great ,I also went with a power gen ,an alternator and pointless ignition which also helped alot ,I was about to re do the valves/guides/lifters and was concidering a 288 head ,to raise the compression a bit the 288 goes on the 327 I saw a great explanation posed in this thread ,so would the aluminum 288 head go on the 327? I hear the dissapate heat and improve performance a bit

Posted on: 2013/2/13 13:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
There was no 288 aluminum head that I have heard tell of. Fairly sure Edmonds sold one head which would fit 288, 327, 356. One would have to cc the thing and do a little calculation to find the actual compression ratio.

When I had the chance to examine one of those heads, I was surprised at the very plain combustion chamber shape. Particularly by the end of the flathead era the combustion chambers on Packards and others were highly finessed for turbulence and flow over the tops of the valves. My personal favorite when I have the option is to install a 54 327 head. It was the latest and best at the time and has profiles unlike any preceeding head. It is sadly lacking in gee whizz eye appeal, but you could always paint it matte aluminum and lie to the bystanders.

Most of the Packards I encounter would gain far more performance from a valve and ring job than from any cylinder head and carb combination.

Posted on: 2013/2/13 14:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
thanks Im getting my self set up for the valve job ,I figure tha cam can get reground ,so Ill need valves guides and springs ,perhaps its a good time for the timing gear/chain .seemed like a good time to fathom the head issue .hardened valve seats sounds like foo foo to me

Posted on: 2013/2/14 23:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

James Russell Packard III
See User information
there is a guy out here in SunValley , California. has a hulk 53 seniour for sale. i saw the four barrel manifold with carb. he will take cheap for it.
i know the car without engine and trans and a fender is for sale too . 350 $.. his name is Eddy 323-251-1100
i asked him and he said it was ok to give his number here. i think he is out of town but gets his calls.
i have a four barrel manifold sitting here in Hollywood. and a box of holly carbs// i was hoping to use it. but
alas.
i may have to part with my 52 200 deluxe . i am getting so disabilited i have not been able to keep up with it. Actually it is very depressing. i love that car. sad.
but with them ( the Veterans Hospital ) considering surgery for my super bad back.
i may let it go to a good home. she daily driver but has been vandalized by these hoods here in Hollywood. i put a new windshield and the broke it. and the glass tailights. She needs painted.
i dont want to sell it . i want to drive it to Virginia!!
Actually i have been reading the book of Job. hopeful and having faith that it will be ok. that i will be ok .

love this web site. Thanks all you guys.

Posted on: 2013/2/18 12:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved