Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (170 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 240

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

When was my Clipper "born"?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David Packard
See User information
I am trying to find out when my '55 Clipper Custom Sedan rolled off the line at Conner Ave. in 1955. After much searching in different places on the car I have never located the build sheet anywhere. I do know that the engine block and heads were cast in June of '55 and the numbers match the VIN. The last four digits in the VIN are 7889 so it was fairly late in the run for Clipper Custom since there were just over 8K built. Anyone with a Clipper Custom that has a VIN close to mine that knows when their car came off the line?

Posted on: 2012/7/17 19:44
 Top  Print   

Re: When was my Clipper "born"?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I don't seem to recall that the build strip, taped to the top of the glove compartment, had any date - just model/serial numbers and option codes.

Though the complete production record, kept on file at the factory, would have been dated, only those for the 56th Series are known to have survived.

Not sure about '55s, the back of the clocks that I've removed from my '56s have month and year stamped on the back in ink. That's not necessarily the same as the vehicle build, but would give you some idea.

Others have found dates scrawled in chalk/crayon/paint in various locations such as the firewall, door trim panels, and frame.

Posted on: 2012/7/17 21:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Dave

Did you look for tags on the upholstery? A friend found them on his '56 when he had his car reupholstered. I don't remember if you can find them without taking the covers off though.

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2012/7/17 21:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I found part of the build sheet for my 1955 Clipper Super Touring Sedan (5542 4985) under the front carpet on top of the transmission hump. It is a wonder there was this much left of the sheet, given the condition of the carpet and jute backing.

(o[]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (22.96 KB)
565_5006249c48902.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2012/7/17 21:51
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
My 5406 was built in dec, '53. I know this b/c it;s stamped on the frame, the inside door panels..and the windows have the date etched. You can check that, look at the etching on the side window corners and see what it says.

Posted on: 2012/7/17 22:02
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
John,

Your skerrick of build sheet somehow reminds me of the Shroud of Turin. And I'm sure it's just as holy to you as the shroud is for millions worldwide!

Posted on: 2012/7/18 2:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My 5406 was built in dec, '53. I know this b/c it;s stamped on the frame, the inside door panels..and the windows have the date etched.

Bobby, unfortunately none of those dates establish when the car was actually "built", they only establish the date of manufacture of the individual components that were then brought to East Grand to await installation in a car at some point in the future.

Using JHH's comment above about dates on seat upholstery, in my case that date is about 2 months before the actual date of assembly as shown on the build slip or shipping order. The clock and frame dates predate assembly by more than 4 months. Never did check the glass dates.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 8:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
John,

Your skerrick of build sheet somehow reminds me of the Shroud of Turin. And I'm sure it's just as holy to you as the shroud is for millions worldwide!

Mal,

When I worked at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, I became acquainted with a scientist who was on one of the teams to analyze the shroud. His, and the team's conclusions were that their findings were inconclusive as to the origin of the shroud or its stains.

The remanent of the build sheet was an unexpected discovery, and is being preserved for the next owner. A verifiable touchstone to the beginning.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/7/18 21:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved