Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

problems with column shift
Just popping in
Just popping in

tiney
See User information
49 packard standard 8 3 speed column shift. it shifts from 2nd to 3rd just fine and you can shift to rev or 1st but everytime you do and then bring it back to neu it binds up and won,t shift into any gear. i can play with the shift levers under the hood and free it up again but it just binds again when you try to shift it. when playing with the shift levers under the hood i can hear a noise from the transmission when i get it freed up again. it looks like it is trying to move both levers at the same time. it drives fine and there is no noise while going down the road.

Posted on: 2012/12/16 18:44
 Top  Print   

Re: problems with column shift
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'dat tiney,

I have the same problem with my '41 120, it's old age catching up with the car. Way to fix it is to take all the linkages off and rebuild all the worn holes and pins, then set it up carefully. I'll be doing that in a couple of months. But in the meantime shift slowly and deliberately, pausing briefly in neutral. I also don't shift down to first from second, always go into top then into first, that seems to help.

Posted on: 2012/12/16 19:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In addition to Mal's rebuilding suggestion which would be the ultimate fix there is a thread here
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6106&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0 which mentions and shows photos of the internal interlock toward the end of the thread. That either working loose or being damaged has happened more than once and maybe worth a look. Also don't forget the tiny oil hole down toward the bottom of the shift tube. Many have reported a few drops of oil works wonders.

Posted on: 2012/12/16 19:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The ONLY time I ever have that problem with my '40 is when I try to "slide" into second gear from first. As mentioned, you have to be "deliberate" about your 1st to 2nd shift. Move up into the neutral position, make the 90-degree turn, then up into 2nd. You cannot, CANNOT try to make the shift as one continuous movement.

Posted on: 2012/12/17 9:04
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
I second what Mr. West Peterson says,

My shift linkage would bind when I let someone else try to shift my '52. It would happen because they wanted to "slide" it from gear to gear. The shifting motion you use has to be very "square" and deliberate. Just practice with it sitting (engine off), and soon enough you will get a good feel for the motion you need to use.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/12/17 11:25
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Before you tear the car apart-here is something to try-there is a small hole in the shift column about 2/3 distance from firewall to the end of the shift column-put some oil(not wd40) in the hole and work the shift lever back and forth. Usually the shifter will work free and work great. Mine would stick I think in first. I was going nuts!

Posted on: 2012/12/18 9:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear tiney:

22nd-23rd series cars are also good for binding when dry.

Try lubricating the linkage at directional fulcrum. There is a grease fitting down there

Posted on: 2012/12/18 14:38
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

braspack46
See User information
Repairing the shift linkage is not as difficult as you might think. I have a 22nd series. There are bearings in the control rods that wear out. Replacing these will tighten up the movement considerably. You might also have wear in the connection on the lower steering column. All three of these parts are available through Packard Parts dealers. The grease in mine had turned to plastic when I replaced it. The combination of these three things made it very precise and pleasurable to drive.
Even though the parts are available do yourself a favor and shop around.

Posted on: 2012/12/19 16:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
the two arms have a 3/16 hole in them, with the car in neutral stick a 3/16 drill in the holes-if the holes don't line adjust threaded rod till they do. if they line up it is time to rebuild. dell

Posted on: 2012/12/19 21:32

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved