Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
64 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 64

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Door Handles
Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
So I'm perusing about on ebay and see some door handles. It dawned on me that I see this handle attached to this square piece of metal that obviously goes thru some mechanism that opens the door.

But, what holds the door handle on?

Regards,
Rich

Posted on: 2012/12/17 9:46
 Top  Print   

Re: Door Handles
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Depends on year. Some are held by screws from either the outside thru the escutcheon or hidden coming from inside the door. Others like the 51-6 have a groove in the handle casting. A metal piece with a keyhole like arrangement slides in from the inner door side and captures the handle.

Posted on: 2012/12/17 10:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
On my 23rd Series there are 2 flat head screws. One is visible thru the chrome bezel and the other is behind the lip of the door. Both are easy to get to, but you need some special phillips tools to do it right. If the screws are stuck a regular screwdriver will not do the job. A screwdriver cannot sit square on the screw in the bezel because the door handle is in the way.

I used Kroil penetrating oil and a big Phillips bit in a 1/4" drive wrench handle. Press hard on the wrench to keep the bit stuck in the slot.

Posted on: 2012/12/17 10:42
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Sorry I did not answer your question completely. Once the screws are removed the door handle and bezel falls off the car. The handle is attached to the bezel with a splined pivot pin. The pin is pressed in. Use a punch to tap the pin out of the hole and the handle comes off the bezel. Again I used Kroil penetrating oil.

Also there is a rubber gasket on the car under the bezel. That protects the paint when the handle is attached to the car. You can buy new ones from Steele Rubber Products.

Posted on: 2012/12/17 10:47
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hi Rick,
I have a 51 and a 53 Packard. If you have a 51 to 56 Packard then you have a keeper inside the door about 5 inches long. The original were made of steel that usually rusted and stuck itself permanently in place. Replacement keepers are available from the San Diego Packard club they run about @45.00 to $50.00 each, but don't rust. If you have the year car that is in the above range let me know and I'll go into a deeper description of exact location, and tips on removing them. Note left and right side are not interchangeable can't remember if back and front are either.
Hope this helps.

Steve........

Posted on: 2012/12/17 16:50
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
It's a '41 110 Coupe, see this earlier post.

Posted on: 2012/12/17 16:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
. Note left and right side are not interchangeable can't remember if back and front are either.

They aren't.

Posted on: 2012/12/19 18:01
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Each door uses a slightly different style clip.

Posted on: 2012/12/19 22:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Quote:
Replacement keepers are available from the San Diego Packard club they run about @45.00 to $50.00 each, but don't rust. If you have the year car that is in the above range let me know and I'll go into a deeper description of exact location, and tips on removing them.

Steve, thanks for the info pointing to where I can get new keepers. Mine have rusted so badly they're unusable . . . .

I have posted a photo of mine (it might be useful for others). I have parts from several cars so can't be sure if the ones I have posted are correct for my '51 Deluxe Club Sedan. (When I bought the car it was totally in pieces).

Would be helpful if anyone can give me an opinion on these.

I THINK I have the correct contact details for the San Diego club (via facility on this site) but have some concern that their website at Packards San Diego will not load ('Server Not Found' problem). So it would be helpful if you could confirm the contact details . . .

Thanks!

Possibly 1951 2465 Deluxe Club Sedan door handle retaining plates
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2013/1/10 17:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
The one on the bottom is from a rear door 1951-56. The top one is also 51-56 but can't tell for sure front or rear with so much missing. There are 4 different ones you will need if you have a 4 door.

Posted on: 2013/1/10 17:42
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved