Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
251 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 251

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Station sedan tire size
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
All the literature that I have found seams to point to 700-15 for the woodie. Does anyone have any other info. Thanks Dell

Posted on: 2015/12/1 22:22

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Station sedan tire size
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Jon,

According to the Model Info page here on PackardInfo, for a '48 Woodie it's 7.60 x 15.

Posted on: 2015/12/2 3:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A couple of sources I have indicate that, with the exception of export models, 7:00 x 15 is correct for the 2201/2293 Station Sedan.

Posted on: 2015/12/2 9:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The 1948 Databook specifies 15 X 7 - 4 ply for the Station Sedan.

Posted on: 2015/12/2 10:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Get a set of Bridgestone 7.00 x 15 R230 LT radials, or the Yokohama equivalent, identical specs the latter, also available at a hefty premium from Diamond Back in South Carolina, if you feel the need for added whitewalls, which many owners in the day thought gauche, tacky. The beauty of these tires is that they come in our 7.00 x 15 bias ply size, and so look right in your fender opening, while giving you all the advantages of radials. Remember, Packard built cars, not batteries, generators, motor oil, brake fluid, tires.

Diamond Back offers, last time we checked, whitewalls vulcanized on Yokohama 7.00/15 bias-sized LT radials, as well as the usual SUV metric radials, which most people use despite not looking right in the fender openings. Only one car in 20 or 30 at any price level had whitewalls in the '30s, '40s, and dear few had fog lights, but that doesn't stop those today allegedly concerned with "is this correct" and scoring points. That the CCCA, PAC and others award perfect scores to 1946-47 cars with whitewalls unavailable when new underscores this mentality. Or gloss-painted engine accessories which were originally matte or semi-gloss black.

Don't take any nonsense about "truck tires" from the same people running 225/235/15R metric SUV tires on their Packards, since big SUVs are built on pick up truck chassis.

Michelin also offered 7.00/15 LT radials per above, identical specs, until the early aughts. Unfortunately, only a few savvy 1941-on Cadillac, Buick, Packard owners knew about them, there otherwise a small market, so Michelin bowed out.
If we don't patronize Bridgestone, Yokohama, we'll be dead in the water, forced to buy bias plies people in a third world wouldn't use, or else metric SUV tires which simply don't look right.

Again, as per Diamond Back, you can vulcanize a wide whitewall on anything, but a good design doesn't need tacked on ephemera, most high-end, top-line cars were free of such dreck originally. Similarly, you rarely saw fog/driving lights on cars in the '30s, '40s, but tell any of this to gotta have it clubbies today and watch the fur fly.

Posted on: 2015/12/2 18:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"According to the Model Info page here on PackardInfo, for a '48 Woodie it's 7.60 x 15"
looks like the Model Info page "info" for Woodie tyre(tire) size is incorrect.

Checking some of the other entries for 22nd and 23rd Series most show 7.60 x 15. BigKev, where did that "info" come from?

Posted on: 2015/12/2 19:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Thanks for the help guys!

Posted on: 2015/12/2 20:05

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
I think Oz is right, since the 288/327 junior tubs were originally so tired, 7.60/15 a popular size for mid-range cars in the late '40s, shared with Hudson and others.
Check with a knowledgeable, longtime tire shop and see if the above 7.00/15 radials i mentioned will work on your wheels. Part of what gave Packards the best chassis in the industry was having sturdy wheels. So better to over- than under-tire, especially given the bathtubs' heavier weight, and that they were marginally tired even when new.

I recall seeing the corresponding 1947 Cadillacs to my '47 Super Clipper had but a 4.5-inch-wide wheel, while my car has 5.5-inch width wheel. That's what Packards are all about,
lost on most people as they headed for the hipper, slicker marketing, styling of GMobiles while Packard, spoiled by wartime profits from open-ended contracts from a seemingly bottomless Federal government, understandably focused on more lucrative jet engine contracts instead of capricious retail customers and whiny dealers, increasingly phoning in the cars, limping along after GM, East Grand otherwise toast by the '40s, being run by the B-O-P men recruited in '34 to show them how to cost the 120.

Crewe knew how to focus on aero engines while marketing boutique cars. Packard, well: Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

See if your woody'll take a set of Bridgestone R230s. It should handle very well -- better than before.

Posted on: 2015/12/2 20:16
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jeff P-MN
See User information
FWIT I think the Station Sedan looks good with WWW tires. I do not care for the wheel shrouds. I am extremely pleased with my Diamondback radials, I recommend them to everyone I talk with.

Posted on: 2015/12/4 9:53
1913 Ford Runabout
1926 Ford T Touring
1948 Chrysler NY’er Highlander
1948 Packard Station Sedan regrettably sold in 2019
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A Recent Photos photo illustrates your taste quite nicely, a '48 Station Sedan sans fender skirt and with www tire.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/12/4 11:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved