Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
69 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 68

Mike Chirco, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Hello and Thank you
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

browenb
See User information
Thank you for having this site available.
My father and I have begun buying and restoring cars, and we've found a 1949 Packard that was actually in my cousins garage that we have decided to tackle. This site seems to be the place to drag up some information about these cars.

At this time, I only know that it is a 1949 Packard. No idea of the model, millage, or condition of the car. I only know that 6 years ago my cousin purchased the car from a family friend, who was the original owner and was too old to complete the restoration. At that time, the car was towed to where it is sitting now. (Cousin's Garage) My cousin has tired with the project and now we own it.

My father buys'em, and I get them running. We've currently got the following vehicles in various stages.

1927 Ford Model T Tudor - Restoration completed
1946 Chev Truck - 1/2 Ton, frame complete, starting cab.
1949 Packard... ? - more to come once the car arrives
1975 Porsche 914 - 'The poor man's Porsche' - needs FI
1981 Chev Camaro - Original V6 car, now 400 small block FI'd
1995 Chev Camaro - LT1+6Speed T-Top car (Fun Mobile @ 450HP)

Daily drivers are a 2004 Silverado Z71 for myself and my father runs around town in a 1996 Land Rover Discovery.

I've been reading through some of the forums, and the Model info, and I look forward to speaking with you all about our new 'little' project car.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 11:10
 Top  Print   

Re: Hello and Thank you
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Hello browenb and welcome to PackardInfo.com.

We can't wait to see the first pictures.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 15:04
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day browenb,
A warm to you and your '49 to PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 15:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

browenb
See User information
Ok, so now that the snow is pretty much all gone, we went to pick up the new project...

http://community.webshots.com/user/brian_owen

It's got some picks, I'm going to need some help finding out what exactly this was supposed to be...

It has a column shift in in now, but there a hole in the floor where a clutch pedal would go...

A lot of other little things I picked up, but right now I need some help with the number I included in the pics...

First up, anyone have any idea what kind of card that is? It need to be rebuilt, it's partially seized.

I'm going to hunt through the site now and see if I can figured out exactly how to remove the rad now, hope you folks can lend a hand with figuring out exactly what we've got here.

Thank you all in advance;

Brian

Attach file:

jpg  (179.82 KB)
3415_4d893960301c3.jpg 1232X912 px

jpg  (301.63 KB)
3415_4d8939ab35948.jpg 1568X1168 px

jpg  (184.77 KB)
3415_4d8939d87b2a5.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2011/3/22 19:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
That's a carter WGD, i have 2 of them. Fairly simple and efficient enough carbs. I have one to test with that's old and used and one freshly rebuilt perfect one. If you don't mind sending it out, Benchwick carbs in youngstown, OH can make that brand spanking new for a little under $200.

I thought i was having issues with mines, turns out i had a loose manifold and am chasing some other gremlins.

Posted on: 2011/3/22 19:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Without my reference books at hand, the carburetor looks like a Carter 2 barrel series WGD. In order to accurately IDF it, the number off the brass tag on one of the top cover screws or the small 3 digit number stamped into the bottom of the base of the carb are needed. You will have to scrape the bottom flange to see it usually. Mnay suppliers includng my firm, Kanter Auto Products www.kanter.com can supply a kit.

Good luck with your new find

Posted on: 2011/3/22 19:54
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

browenb
See User information
Ask and you shall receive...

The arm that is part of the Float bowl is seized.. Anyone run into this? Other than that the carb looks to be in pretty good condition.

I've been searching through Kanter Auto, mainly for engine overhaul kits. I've got photos of the engine head any the numbers on it. I'm not sure how to decipher these numbers though.

Attach file:

jpg  (202.72 KB)
3415_4d894956881a3.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (319.21 KB)
3415_4d89498042149.jpg 1600X1193 px

Posted on: 2011/3/22 20:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
The mileage should be on the odometer, which is on the speedometer. If it is under 10,000 miles, I would assume it had a rollover. Good luck with the project! Glad to hear that another one was saved. Congratulations!

Posted on: 2011/3/22 20:38
J.R. Buzzell

1949 23rd Series Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=867
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Brian, Welcome to the Packard family. It looks like you have found a 23rd series 1949 Deluxe 8 sedan. These are great driving cars that are usually very reliable and the ride is comfortable. I really like the 48-50 Packards and own 7 different models. If you have any questions I will try to answer them. I am not a mechanic but consider myself a pretty good tinkerer. I do have some extra parts if you are in need of something special let me know.
Roger Lamm

Posted on: 2011/3/22 20:44
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

browenb
See User information
I've got pics posted on webshots.

http://community.webshots.com/user/brian_owen
Someone else said that by the numbers it is a 22, not a 23...

Still trying to figure out exactly what it is, I think it originally had a manual trans, but now has a column shift Auto matic.

Posted on: 2011/3/22 20:47
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved