Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 195

28Mack, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 499 500 501 (502) 503 504 505 ... 510 »

Re: Various CL Pickings
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

bkazmer wrote:
49 looks to be an Eight, not deluxe

Agree. Also not automatic, there appears to be a large dent in right rear quarter panel but maybe it's just the lighting.

Posted on: 5/30 8:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
LeMay auction just happened yesterday and today. I had heard about it but wasn't really in the market. Sale is over now and here are the Packards that were part of the auction. 18% buyers premium on top of the sell price.

1951 Patrician 400 - sold for $1,900. Paint is worn, chrome looks excellent, no idea of the interior.

1951 200 2 Dr Coupe - Sold for $2,000. Love the color, looks like a recent repaint.

1955 400 - Sold for $3,750. Solid blue color, don't know if that was an option for that year.

1951 200 2 Dr Coupe - Sold for $1,750. Attractive red, what can be seen of the interior looks nice

1940 110 - Sold for $2,000. They have it labeled as a 1941. Looks like it might have non-standard wheels and tires, which makes me wonder what's under the hood.

1951 4 Dr Touring Sedan - Sold for $1,800. Doesn't look like an original color. But overall nice condition.

These next two were part of the same auction, but not from the LeMay collection. They mixed up the pictures to listings on the auction site, so I've linked to the ads the auction house put on Craigslist. These prices are absolutely amazing:

1949 Packard Eight - Sold for $6,250. Attractive gray exterior, paint has some fading but could be easily corrected. Interior is beautiful. Not sure if the seat fabric itself is correct. But beautiful nonetheless. Great price for this car, assuming it is running.

1956 400 - sold for $13,750. That price is crazy low....when I saw this car I assumed mid to high 20's for it. Beautiful Dover White over Scottish Heather. Body looks excellent and chrome looks good, besides maybe some bending on the lower edge of the front bumper. Interior appears to be in top shape. This exact car is one of my dream Packards......if I would've known that it would sell for so low I would've been there buying it. Hindsight regrets!

Posted on: 6/2 19:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Kevin, regarding the solid blue: you might find this anecdote interesting. From the Kimes book and repeated in Heinmuller's V8 book.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Click to see original Image in a new window

I agree, unless that 56 was decades behind on maintenance, then that's a great price for it.

Posted on: 6/2 23:26
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Those prices are quite alarming as a portent of the future of the Packard hobby. They don't reach the threshold of a clapped out high mileage Kia. Or was the marketing especially poor?

Posted on: 6/3 7:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Thoroughly agree on the prices. Most of these cars sold for considerably less than what I would have expected. I have seen people asking more for trashed parts cars. That '56 400 was an absolute steal if it is really as nice as it appears to be in the photos.

Posted on: 6/3 7:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Coincidentally I saw this 55 Caribbean sale today.

$8500 for a complete but pretty rough car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266831995897

Posted on: 6/3 8:06
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I think the marketing was poor for this auction. I received an email about it a week before it happened, and most people are already booked with plans that close to the date. They put ads on Craigslist as well, but I believe only a few days prior to the auction.

The LeMay auctions haven't brought high prices in the past. There was another auction about 3 years ago and featured some early 50's sedans, a couple of late 40's and a 56 400. Most sold for around the same price as this most recent auction, though maybe a bit higher. Add on 18% buyer's premium and another 8-10% WA sales tax. All of the cars out of the LeMay collection have been in storage for decades and virtually non-running. They could probably all be brought back to good running condition with the standard work: brakes, fluids, fuel system rebuild, etc.

The prices for other vehicles at the auction were all over the map. The tri-five Chevy's and Ford's mostly sold in the high 20's, but there was a '57 Bel-Air Sedan that sold for only $4,500. And a 1907 International Harverster vehicle, restored, that sold for only $12,000. Crazy. Here's the complete listings if anyone is interested to look through them: https://www.proxibid.com/Lucky-Old-Car-LLC/Lucky-Collector-Car-Auction/event-catalog/261889?p=1&sort=4#cnTb.

Packard's just aren't as popular as Ford/Chevy/Mopar etc. But one nice thing about low prices like these are it's an easy way for someone new (and younger) to get into the hobby. Most guys in the middle of careers and family can't spend a good chunk of money on a car hobby. But dropping a couple thousand is doable for most, and it wouldn't take much to get these back on the road.

Posted on: 6/3 9:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
Really? Vinyl seats in this one?!

Then I noticed the speakers. (the A/C isn't ideal but more forgiving given the other)

1929 Packard Eight

Posted on: 6/3 20:20
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

chocobo9x
See User information
The auction was definitely poorly advertised and all the packards had no info, bought the light blue or turquoise one on an impulse buy now I am here trying to figure out what I got myself into...

Posted on: 6/4 21:39
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day chocobo9x,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your, impulse buy, newly acquired Packard in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Was THIS the Packard you bought?

Posted on: 6/4 22:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 499 500 501 (502) 503 504 505 ... 510 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved