Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: California Title Help
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well if you have a title, then it shouldn't be a problem. You actually want it "missing for computer". Cause if it was still in the computer, you may owe back registration fees.

Use the number on the title. If it was the engine number, and it matches, then just use it for now.

You can always request a title change later. Dont try to register it, and try to change the number at the same time as that will raise red flags and make it more difficult.

Generally you are going to go in DMV (or better yet AAA) with the title, the bill of sale, and if needed a form that says the car was not driven or used during since the time the last registration expired.

Go to AAA, they will tell you what you need and what you have to have to complete the registration. If they say you need to have the numbers verified, then AAA may be able to do that for you as well. Basically they come out and validated that the numbers on the paperwork & title match the numbers on the car.

But you probably will have to get either a temp 1-day only registration to drive it down there, or tow it there.

Whenever possible, avoid the DMV itself, as they will give you the run around as they are just trying to process as many people as possible regardless if they help you or not. AAA will be far more consultative and helpful in telling you exactly what you need.

My car was not driveable, and I didn't have resources to tow it down there. So I paid a licensed independent state vehicle verifier to come to the house and do it for me. They cant issue a title, they just fill out a form that states that all the numbers are correct and accurate based on their inspection.

The CHP also does it by appointment also, but most of those officers don't understand that old cars do not have traditional VIN numbers, and if the paperwork doesn't make sense they may flag it as suspicious in the system, and then god help you. Red tape nightmare from that point forward.

Posted on: 2014/2/24 15:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also, your engine must have a number on it. Check the raised flat machine pad on the drivers side of the block, toward the back of the motor, directly under the head. You may have to run a wire brush over it to remove any paint that has filled in the numbers, and then rub it with a piece of white chalk and then wipe it off to make it visible.

That is what i have to do on mine. You and I basically have the same car exactly. Right down to the 288 head swap.

The number will start with M3......

Posted on: 2014/2/24 15:30
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

600miles
See User information
There is no engine number. There are no back fees because last registration was 1994. I used my angle die grinder with wire brush and cleaned the area completely - the pad as shown in your Identification Pages And the raised pad farther forward, plus I used a mirror and looked all around the right side of the engine, I did not remove the starter to look for a number there.

I live out in the woods and the CHP will come to my house and verify my cars, they have in the past. One time the officer didn't know how to fill out the paper, so I did it for him and he signed it.

So let's put it this way...If you were going to buy my car and the VIN was the Anti-Theft number or the VN tag number which would you prefer to see?

Miles

Posted on: 2014/2/25 1:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day 600miles,
Like to add my to those you've already received, but sorry I can't add any helpful advice being on the far side of the Pacific Ocean!

Instead I invite you to include your '54 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2014/2/25 4:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Others may disagree but I'd prefer to see the VN number on my title. It provides a great deal more information about the car that is being titled than the TPN. All three of my Packards are/were titled using the VN.

Posted on: 2014/2/25 8:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agree with using the VN if the officer gives a choice. If the plate is still riveted he may not quibble but if it screws on then I expect it will depend on his mood.

Posted on: 2014/2/25 9:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If the plate is still riveted.....

HH, just FYI, in the era when the plates were to be removed so the dealer could stamp his dealership name and sale date (early 22nd series and back to 1923) the plates were all affixed with screws. On the 23rd series, even though the plate no longer was used to stamp the dealer and date, it was still affixed with screws - I believe they became riveted when they moved to the A pillar.

The factory did offer a kit to dealers with the metal stamp set for these purposes.

I thought you might find these documents interesting.

Attach file:

jpg  (90.14 KB)
177_530caeaf55857.jpg 928X1280 px

jpg  (113.90 KB)
177_530caec369fdc.jpg 928X1280 px

jpg  (99.17 KB)
177_530cb00a599e1.jpg 559X903 px

Posted on: 2014/2/25 9:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I know and if the paperwork supported the number on the plate or the engine # was visible don't think there would be an issue.

As I understand the problem, the car is in non op status and current and available paperwork has the car registered with the engine number which can't be located on the engine. The car needs to have an inspection and to be re-registered, a verifiable number.

If the engine number can't be found and the Briggs and VN plate removable, then the only permanent number on the car is the TPN. That was the situation the officer explained when I accompanied a friend when his car had to be inspected and registered. The CHP officer would only accept the TPN on that car because it could not be removed.

I suspect my 47 at one time was long unregistered so out of the system and in a similar situation. When I bought it, the car had been registered with the TPN yet the engine and patent plate were present and have the correct number for the car. For some reason those were not accepted on the inspection.

As mentioned, I do believe a lot depends on the officers mood, how busy he is and how persuasive the documents or owner can be.

Posted on: 2014/2/25 10:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The other option is to buy a stamp set and stamp the motor number yourself. The number was supposed to have been stamped when the motor was replaced. So makes me wonder if that car got a surplus replacement engine after Packard shuttered.

Every replacement motor I have seen was stamped with the letters CAL in front of the engine number.

CAL M3#####

Not sure if that has something to do with the state of Calif, or signifies some Packard code for a service replacement engine. But I have been at least 3 cars with known replacement motors with this stamping and all the cars have spent their life in Calif.

Posted on: 2014/2/25 11:46
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved