Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 125

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

41 Packard Running Boards
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I know there has been some discussion on the forum regarding Rhino lining the running boards on 41 Packards. My question is has anyone found a product that can be mixed and sprayed from a spray gun that is durable enough or similar to Rhino linking. Personally I do not step on my running boards so I don't think wear will be a problem. I like doing everything myself on my cars if at all possible. Does anyone have any suggestions. Part two of my question is what is the best way to remove the old rubber on the running boards ? Thank you.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 20:19
 Top  Print 

Re: 41 Packard Running Boards
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
the spray on method uses polyurethane, I believe RIM. The spray gun for this is not a paint sprayer. it has to mix polyol and isocyanate in the correct proportion.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 20:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
As far as the 'best' way to remove the old rubber... I have no idea. But, I removed the petrified rubber from the running boards using a putty knife, hammer, elbow grease, and several colorful phrases I learned in the Navy. I then sandblasted them. I plan on having them Rhino-lined (if they can prove to me that I can end up with a smooth -not rough- finish).

Attach file:

jpg  (77.06 KB)
188_556691ebe6d1d.jpg 1260X945 px

Posted on: 2015/5/27 22:50
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
My experience was that I tried the Rhino liner method, sanded on it forever to get it smooth and then sand blasted it off. It just never looked right at all. I suppose it makes a difference as to the newness of your car, a more all original car that doesn't have new paint that was a darker color might look ok but you have to sand the finish of the Rhino a lot. I ended up sending them off and having them revulcanized, it cost a lot more but was worth every penny.

Posted on: 2015/5/28 6:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1940-120
See User information
Corsa 7

I have a 1940-120.

I do not know if Hunley Acuff can do '41 Running boards. I will assume the prep work will be similar.
Here is the sequence I used. I stripped the old material by hand, LABOR INTENSE, Then I had to have dies made to form new metal to replace rusted areas around at the mounting brackets and also the running board contours. I had the boards blasted then powder coated on the bottom sides. Then went to the local UPS site to have them boxed and prepped for shipping. NOT CHEAP here either, then sent to Hunley Acuff. Got them back and haven't unpacked them yet, attached is a picture of Hunley's work taken from the AACA site. It is flawless. I will see if I can post some pics to show the sequence.

Fred D

Attach file:

jpg  (34.77 KB)
496_556711de2af2a.jpg 600X800 px

Posted on: 2015/5/28 7:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Results I have seen from Hunley Acuff are superb, but I cannot justify spending an amount that is roughly equal to half the current value of the car.

Posted on: 2015/5/28 9:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

JD in KC wrote:
As far as the 'best' way to remove the old rubber... I have no idea. But, I removed the petrified rubber from the running boards using a putty knife, hammer, elbow grease, and several colorful phrases I learned in the Navy. I then sandblasted them. I plan on having them Rhino-lined (if they can prove to me that I can end up with a smooth -not rough- finish).

No. Rhino will not be able to spray it smooth. They can adjust their sprayers to give different levels, but it will never be sprayed smooth. You have to sand it smooth. Start with a very aggressive grit, and work your way down. It will look superb if you give it enough time.

Posted on: 2015/5/28 10:40
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Quote:

JD in KC wrote:
Results I have seen from Hunley Acuff are superb, but I cannot justify spending an amount that is roughly equal to half the current value of the car.

FYI. They quoted $1,350 plus shipping to and from GA for a pair of 1941 running boards. And that is with the old material already cleaned off.

Posted on: 2015/5/28 11:09
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Corsa, JD and others,

I had the running boards for my Coupe rhinoed twice. The first effort was very sloppy and I ended up sanding them back for a second go. Second time round, better, but still no cigar. There's a lot of sanding required and with the corrugations on the boards not easy to do. I ended up buying a cheap, small, hand belt sander to get into the corrugations. Burnt one of those out very quickly because of the amount of time it was in use, just overheated! Fortunately with its replacement guarantee there wasn't a problem in getting another from the large hardware chain it was purchased from. Then I was more circumspect in it's use allowing plenty of cool down time between short application periods. Upshot was the board cleaned up reasonably well but the sanding process removes the glossy rhino finish. I'm sure there are techniques which could remedy that but I opted for a couple of coats of flattish black paint to finish them.

If you want to know in more detail about my rhino experiences, to zero in on those go to the Advanced Search "button" at the foot of this page and enter:
- rhino, in Keyword(s)
- select the Project Blogs Forum
- Ozstatman, in Author
Then click the Search button
That'll bring up a list of my posts in the Wade's Workshop Project Blog about my trials and tribulations and small triumphs in relation to rhinoed running boards!

And I can vouch for the Hunley Acuff boards, Noel has them on his '39 120 Touring Sedan and a pair ready for his '41 160 Club Coupe once it comes back from the body shop. If you need to use Hunley's services it's suggested you do so now, he's not getting any younger!

Posted on: 2015/5/28 12:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Mal,
I remembered your running board saga. When I went to the local Rhino guy, they said they thought they could get a reasonably smooth finish. Based on your experience and comments from others, I have my doubts which is why I said they would have to 'prove' they can produce a non-rough finish. My running boards are extra long with an extension seam that will have to be leaded in or something before any type of spray application is used. I still have the 'Made by Mal' rubber stone guards to attach when I get the boards done. Many thanks for that.

Posted on: 2015/5/28 15:00
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved