Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 220

Ross, DavidM, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1/23 Snow Storm in the Northeast
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
6" of snow here in middle TN. Even US hwy 70 is in bad shape.
Wouldn't have been major problem if the snow plouhgs and salt truck had started yesterday instead of after it all ended.

THe 56 Exec is resting nicely in the basement. Been performing various minor maintenance.

NOTE the pic in post 1 above. There appears to be a open landau in the background??? Not sure if "open landaue" is correct name for a limo with no roof over the front seat. But that is what appears to be in the background.

I looked close at the tires on the Packard in the forefront. It appears to have no chains on the tyres notr anything that mite be recognized as heavy snow operation accessories.

Posted on: 2016/1/23 20:17
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What is the oval shaped emblem in the center of the front bumper that says "CD".

Posted on: 2016/1/23 20:21
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Keith,

See this from that great font of wisdom, Wikipedia!

Posted on: 2016/1/23 20:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Good points, CustomClipper55 (seventh post on this thread).
Kids today have it easier in some ways, but the deck otherwise stacked against them in ways we could never have foreseen.

Meanwhile, snow's relative. In Charlotte, NC grades 3-8, having earlier lived in Detroit, it was always funny when they closed the schools after a minor snowfall Motown and other places up north'd shrug off. Later, in high school in greater NYC, can't recall the schools ever being closed, tho' that area is nothing like frigid upstate. We've an old photograph of my grandparents literally shoveling a tunnel from their front door to their Mercury in the driveway in Jamestown, NY, near Lake Chautauqua (where J.W. Packard had an estate), an hour or so south of Buffalo.

Posted on: 2016/1/23 20:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
About 9 PM here, snow has almost stopped. Looks to be about 18 inches of nice, light fluffy snow. Friends just a few miles to the south have had considerably more. Fortunately none of the high wind gusts materialized so no threat of looking electric. Used the snow blower once on the sidewalk to make things easier tomorrow as when they plow the street all the snow gets dumped on the walk and the blower can't handle snow much over 2 feet, especially when it's been compacted by the plow.

Nice fire in the wood stove, single malt nearby, how bad can things be?

Posted on: 2016/1/23 21:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Snow wrapped up here this afternoon (1-23) around 1:30. Ended up with around 8". Driveway is plowed off with PK and path to shed in yard. Still have some hand shoveling to finish up in the morning.
John

Posted on: 2016/1/23 21:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
We picked up around 28" here and Somerset Turnpike- about 15 miles south- supposedly recorded 35.5 inches. There are still cars and buses stranded on the Turnpike which have been there since last evening when traffic snarled due to several rigs jack knifing ....and at last report they will spend another night on the bus.
The one bus is full of college basketball players and another full of some girls sports team. With.some pizza ( Dominos dropped some in) and a few cases of Iron City beer, I think the situation could work out.LOL
There are people living outdoors in this mess, hundreds of thousands without electricity or heat, at least 17 deaths and untold property damage.
We have had larger snowfalls and by all accounts the folks near Buffalo deal with snow accumulations like this routinely.
I have photos from the Winter of 1935-36 somewhere. My father worked with a crew clearing snow along US Route 30 by hand because no machine at the time( and possibly now) could deal with the accumulation. They dug down and created shelves and used those to move the snow up to the next level. The photos show him and fellow workers sitting on the tops of the utility poles along the road. That accumulation melted,too quickly and generated the second major flood,of Johnstown on St Patrick's Day in 1936.
I think part,of today's difficulty with coping with storms is that we have gotten used to good roads, electric lights and heating systems that are dependent on dependable electric service. When the power goes out, there are no lights.....but also frequently no heat . When coal and wood stoves and furnaces were more the norm, loss of power was less an issue.
Let's hope that we do lot have too many people die or lose their homes due to this mess. I'll be grateful that I am warm and that the Internet and cable allow me to wait for the plows.

Posted on: 2016/1/23 21:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
Meanwhile - out at the Proving Grounds...

Attach file:

jpg  (46.17 KB)
1445_56a4ca0b81ac0.jpg 736X573 px

jpg  (76.50 KB)
1445_56a4ca1ebaf7f.jpg 644X843 px

Posted on: 2016/1/24 7:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Generation bashing?

Louis XIV supposedly was able to lift a man standing on the blade of a shovel with one arm.

I will agree that the nation is becoming stupider and stupider because, once Johnson started ruining the country, my generation said screw you to birthing. Today's future leaders are on crack street and heroin avenue. As well, employers punish talent whenever they can.

The other day I received a handwritten note with numerous misspelled words.

Posted on: 2016/1/24 8:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
... I guess we're wimps these days, back when I was a kid it wasn't a blizzard, it was a snow storm and you put on your ear muffs and galoshes, Pop put the chains on the car, and we all went about life pretty much as usual...

What ever happens, one is always clear: it is a catastrophic event. Instead of usual seasons we survive four natural disasters every year. A couple of days ago a sports reporter said that the absent snow is a veritable disaster for the ski championships and it can't be explained in any other way then as part of the global climate catastrophe. The interviewee agreed. Moments later the interviewee was talking about the situation last year, when the snow masses aggravated the arrival and the reporter complemented: how true, it was a catastrophic situation.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.21 KB)
757_56a4dd03b69de.jpg 710X532 px

Posted on: 2016/1/24 9:17
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved