Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 229

BigKev, Test User, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1949 2262 Died On Me
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Quote:

Todd W. White wrote:
Hello everyone.

Brand new Packard owner here. I turned on the electric fuel pump.

If anyone has any ideas as to what I should look for once I get it home, I would sure appreciate it.

Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Oklahoma

Electric pump on mine has a filter before the electric pump, all metal so not real obvious that it is a filter, maybe a place to start looking.

Funny tale, years ago drove a company box truck from Savannah to Jacksonville to pick up some newspaper racks, it would cut off and then after a rest run again. Mechanic said there was a potato chip bag in the fuel tank. Enjoy your Packard.

Posted on: 4/20 3:20
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
On one car the intermittent fuel problem turned out to be a dead wasp that would would block the pickup tube and then drop out again after the car stopped. The other case, and perhaps more pertinent, was when the tank had been relined and some of the lining came loose.

Posted on: 4/20 6:19
 Top  Print   
Wow (1)

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Todd W. White
See User information
You're welcome Ozstatman!

I will add more of the information it asks for as I am able to obtain it.

Posted on: 4/20 8:46
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
On my very first Packard in the ‘60s, a 1939 Six, the same thing happened and in this case we never even made out out of the little town of Port Hadlock, WA where I bought it. The previous owner’s father was with me and called an old-time mechanic who fixed it easily. It may not apply to your later carburetor but on mine there was a screen in the carburetor inlet that was plugged. After cleaning it, we drove by way of ferry from far Northern Washington State to norther east Bellevue where I lived (walking distance to where Microsoft now is) without any more problems.

Posted on: 4/20 11:01
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I had a 1946 Ford that ran well when it chose to run at all. It turned out that it had what appeared to the head of a red harvester ant in the fuel flex line, that acted just like a check valve when it got into the fitting at the fuel pump end of the flex.

Posted on: 4/20 12:26
 Top  Print   
Wow (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That story about the ant and the fuel flex line is a good reminder. While the flex line was not mentioned earlier with possible things to check, it is a known failure point. With the slightest disturbance or even just being put back into service some of those old and brittle lines can have the lining crack and a chunk break away to be pulled into the bore with pump suction. Almost makes a perfect check valve with increased suction pulling the lining farther into the bore and blocking flow only to have it fall back into place and let the engine run OK when at idle.

Posted on: 4/20 13:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Todd W. White wrote:.....I will add more of the information it asks for as I am able to obtain it.

Todd, I hear you, it's an easy way to tag progress on your Packard.

Posted on: 4/20 14:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
The soft lines can also separate the 'inner' lining from the nylon reinforcing and the outer shell. The inner lining can suck shut under enough vacuum, leading to fuel starvation and stalling. restarts after a few minutes but then continued use under higher vacuum causes it to stall again.

Baffling, as all the soft lines 'look' fine, but are gummi-bears inside. Replacing them might solve your problem.

Posted on: 4/20 16:25
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Todd W. White
See User information
Quote:

tsherry wrote:
The soft lines can also separate the 'inner' lining from the nylon reinforcing and the outer shell. The inner lining can suck shut under enough vacuum, leading to fuel starvation and stalling. restarts after a few minutes but then continued use under higher vacuum causes it to stall again.

Baffling, as all the soft lines 'look' fine, but are gummi-bears inside. Replacing them might solve your problem.

This is what my son and I think happened. The previous owner used ethanol-based gasoline, so that is a factor, too. Monday, I shall jack it up, replace the filter and semi-kinked rubber lines near the tank that someone installed (poorly), doing it the right way, and try to start it. My cautiously optimistic guess is that it will fire right up.

Posted on: 4/20 16:49
Todd W. White
Sapulpa, Okla.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Sounds like a good plan. Maybe a good shot of a fuel additive to help clean out the system and then drive it often enough that the gas is always fresh!

Posted on: 4/20 21:37
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved