Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
243 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 241

DavidPackard, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Starter Continues to Crank When Engine is Running
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Jason,
for your insights into starters, generators and related matters, generous of you to provide professional advice.
Also, to PackardInfo, as I haven't done so before! See in your public profile you don't have a Packard but do have antique tractors. Maybe you could share a pic of some of those? There are members here with the same interest.

Posted on: 2011/4/30 20:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

startergenrebuilder wrote:
...You mentioned "new battery", does that mean you have had low battery troubles recently? Solenoids don't normally fail unless they've been exposed to low voltage. So, if you have been trying to start it with low voltage that would explain the damage to the solenoid...
www.aerrebuild.com

Jason, thanks. I've had the car for less than a month. It has a new battery because I required one from the seller as part of the deal since the one that was in the car wouldn't hold a charge.
Just to be sure we are all singing out of the same hymnal... I am dealing with an Auto-Lite starter out of a '49 senior car. I believe this is considerably different in operation than a Delco Remy. Attached is a picture of the starter in my '50 which is an identical unit. I suspect that when the electro-magnetic powered drive gear is supposed to retract from the flywheel when the engine starts, the circuit that activates the motor isn't being interrupted. I need to get the starter out of the car anyway to remove some of the Electromatic Clutch mechanism cluttering up the engine bay and to clean, paint, lubricate, and inspect it for brush wear, etc.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.90 KB)
188_4dbcdbf6d7130.jpg 432X297 px

Posted on: 2011/4/30 23:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Dave, it might sound like a joke or the work method of a farmer but I wasn't joking when I talked about a hammer blow on the housing of the solenoid switch. While engaging or disengaging the switch can get jammed and an encouraging pat would show him the right way.

Click to see original Image in a new window

To work with a hammer is not to everybody's taste, is not a durable solution and could damage the black coating but if you are under way at a rainy night and a pack of wolves starts to howl the song of Alaska then a well-directed blow could shorten the diagnostics.

Ask a man who owns a hammer.

[picture source: www.motortalk.de]

Posted on: 2011/5/1 2:49
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Gerd, I didn't think you were joking. I think a nice smack with a ball-peen hammer would probably stop it. However, the former owner attached one of those cheap battery disconnect devices directly on the starter motor. I have no doubt this was because of the problem. A classic case of treating the symptoms instead of the disease. Once the power is cut, the starter returns to its non-engaged position.

Thanks for the cut-away photo of the starter, I was trying to find one. That's very similar in concept to the Auto-Lite.

Posted on: 2011/5/1 8:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I see a relay in the Autolite solenoid which could be the whole issue. Motor's Manual 20th edition, & probably Chilton has a cutaway, schematic and troubleshooting info. PM with an email address if you would like the article-- 1 1/2 pages.

Posted on: 2011/5/1 9:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
Correct, The Autolite solenoid you have has a separate relay in the box portion of the solenoid which extends over the side. I realize the hammer strike can be an emergency option, but try to avoid this becoming a habit. I've seen a lot of major damage due to someone getting all to used to doing this on a regular basis. Feel free to contact me for help.
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
www.aerrebuild.com
jason@aerrebuild.com

Posted on: 2011/5/1 10:21
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear JD:

Forget the hammers because that is an easy way to damage Packards.

You have a real fire hazard on your hands because I have seen cars with stuck starters catch fire. Also, that starter is expensive merchandise and excessive cranking is not good.

From the looks of things this problem has been around for a while because the starter is rebuilt. I haven't seen one of those high reduction starters stick in the on position.

However, to test go to Radio Shack and make up an inline fuse for the left (outside) wire that is the switch feed to the solenoid. Put the thing inline and wait for the unit to stick.

If the disconnecting the fused lead stops the problem then you probably have a wiring harness short.

Remove the cover on the solenoid arm (four screws) and check the return action. It should spring back by itself.

It could be that a part is missing inside the starter.

Good luck,

Posted on: 2011/5/1 10:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
... Motor's Manual 20th edition, & probably Chilton has a cutaway, schematic and troubleshooting info...

Howard, thanks for the tip. I have a 17th edition Motor's Manual and found that it also has the info on this type of starter. I should have looked there first. The old Motor's and Chilton's are really good when it comes to information on generators, starters, carburetors, etc. It should be very helpful when I get the starter out of the car.

Quote:

startergenrebuilder wrote:
...I realize the hammer strike can be an emergency option, but try to avoid this becoming a habit....

Thanks Jason. I wouldn't seriously take a hammer to anything under the hood. Wolves or no wolves.

Quote:

Tim Cole wrote:
...From the looks of things this problem has been around for a while because the starter is rebuilt...If the disconnecting the fused lead stops the problem then you probably have a wiring harness short...

The photo is not of the problem starter. It's of the same model starter on my '50. It had been removed, cleaned, lubed, painted, etc. It works just fine. The cause of the problem being a short in the harness is still a possibility but I would expect a short to cause the starter to crank spontaneously. This doesn't seem to be the case (so far).

Posted on: 2011/5/1 13:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Starting from a well tempered hammer blow as a less-than-ideal but temporarily helpful solution, rapidly developing to becoming a habit and doing this on a regular basis and culminating in an easy way to damage Packards - within a few hours.
The group dynamic effects of the 1970s would probably have led to a self-incrimination as hammer murderer. Forty years later we succesful refined that process of getting noncommittal to I wouldn't seriously take a hammer to anything under the hood.

Click to see original Image in a new window

[picture source:http://www.oetigheim.de/]

Posted on: 2011/5/1 15:04
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Well I hope that I don't get branded as a hammer murderer or a pychopath determined to damage Packards with a hammer BUT I have on rare occasions used this hammer on starter method as an emergency repair when stuck in wildlands where timber wolves actually do live. I have never had much fear of timber wolves since they so rarely if ever bother humans but I hate spending nights in the bush with a broken down truck when a hammer blow to a starter might get me home.

Posted on: 2011/5/1 15:15

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved