Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

came across this Packard history link, cool pics
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information

Posted on: 2008/9/22 23:09
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Re: came across this Packard history link, cool pics
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
The author stated "The postwar Packards sold poorly, and the ability to distinguish expensive models from lower priced models disappeared as all Packard became virtually alike."

I think the author need to do a little more research into the postwar Packards. In fact the 22nd and 23rd series cars sold in record numbers. The only year to better them was 1937.
To the uneducated maybe all of the Packards looked alike. But, in fact there were differences some more obvious than others. The egg crate grille and rear trim and the double stainless trim at the bottom of the doors are obvious that distinguish the Custom line from the Super and Eight cars.

Mostly good information however.

Posted on: 2008/9/22 23:24
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Actually, the whole section on Packard was lifted pretty much intact from Wikipedia. I agree with you that the visual differences between the higher priced models and the lower priced models were pretty evident through the 22nd series. But with the 23rd series Packard started putting the eggcrate grill and rear trim on non-Custom models (2372, 2375). In fact the only visible exterior difference that I can see is the lack of the full stainless trim strip surrounding the trunk and the cloissone hubcaps but these models were $1000 less than the Custom. I'd guess it may have made some 22nd series Custom buyers less than happy. I do think this action blurred the distinction between top-of-the-line and less expensive models (at least with the 23rd series).

Posted on: 2008/9/23 1:26
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

PackardV12fan
See User information
Yeah - I agree with you guys - that's the problem - younger authors who get loose in so called "authoritative sources", and try and re-invent REAL history to their liking.

Of COURSE Packards sold well after World War Two. Did Packard make a mistake using the "trinkets" that formally identified the "top of the line" Custom, on the smaller-engined car ? I think so. But Packards continued to sell reasonably well up (with some fluntuations) thru '54 production. Sales went thru the roof with the introduction of the '55's, when Packard's advertising campaign that "PACKARD IS BACK" as a super-car attracted both old and new customers.

What those customers of the 55's got for their money, and what they did about it, has been covered elsewhere.

Posted on: 2008/9/23 9:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
In regards to the ability of the general public to discern the differences between the entry level and senior cars, this is probably more true for the Clippers than other series. Even for us familiar with these cars, it is difficult to quickly tell the difference between the sixes and custom supers. Closer inspection reveals the differences, but they are not readily apparent for a quick model identification. I know, I own a '47 Custom Super Clipper Touring Sedan.

Posted on: 2008/9/23 11:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
On the topic of Packard history resources, just thought I would take a moment to welcome a new user to the website named Robert Neal who joined toady. This is from his user profile:

"I have in recent years authored three books related to Packard subjects, "Packards At Speed," "Master Motor Builders" and "A Technical and Operational History of the Liberty Engine." I am currently doing the research for my next book, "The 1948 - 1950 Packards." I welcome both information and questions regarding them."

Hopefully we are able to provide Robert any help he needs with his next Packard Book.

P.S. Thanks to Gusha for poking me in the ribs on this!

Posted on: 2008/9/23 20:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Robert Neal please give me your contact information. I would like to talk with you about your proposed book on the 48-50 Packards. you can e-mail me at dbaird@semo.edu. Or PM me here on this site.
Thanks!

Posted on: 2008/9/23 22:00
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
BigKev wrote:......On the topic of Packard history resources, just thought I would take a moment to welcome a new user to the website named Robert Neal who joined toady. This is from his user profile:

"I have in recent years authored three books related to Packard subjects, "Packards At Speed," "Master Motor Builders" and "A Technical and Operational History of the Liberty Engine." I am currently doing the research for my next book, "The 1948 - 1950 Packards." I welcome both information and questions regarding them."......

WOW! I'm impressed! Robert

Posted on: 2008/9/24 2:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I enjoyed Mr. Neal's participation, a few years ago, in another forum. The hot topic of discussion, then, was Packard's experimental Monobloc 12.

Though the one-of-a-kind engine no longer exists, the article which he later published was not only well-written, but appeared to be very well researched and documented.

Though I'm mainly into the V8s, I look forward to his participation at P'Info.

Posted on: 2008/9/24 8:16
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Robert J. Neal
See User information
Hi Big Kev. I think you also sent me a short personal message, which I read and hit "save," and I guess it saved, but I have not figured out where yet. It disappeared so I could not hit the answer button. I look forward to getting and giving a lot of information through this site.
Robert

Posted on: 2008/9/24 11:54
Currently researching 1951 Packards, particularly convertibles and Mayfairs, but anything interesting. Own a 1950 Custom 8 sedan and a 1954 Cavalier, both are restored.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved