Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 222

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1940's Los Angeles Video Packard Taxi
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Guscha wrote:.....pic #1: Does anybody know the function of the chromed longitudinal struts at or even in the rear window?.....
Gerd,

As a seeker of the truth, a correct answer could also solve your request about a similar rear window in this thread.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 16:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information

Posted on: 2011/9/8 16:29
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...As a seeker of the truth, a correct answer could also solve your request about a similar rear window in this thread.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Aaaah, one attentive listener positively scintillated in the expert audience!
Well, already the third attempt to be exact. That was number two.

[source: www.panoramio.com]

Posted on: 2011/9/8 17:00
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Gerd, regarding the three piece rear window in the photo you reference: It is a Cadallic. Cadillacs in the late 30s and early 40s featured a rear window with two dividers. It was one of their styling statements. They were trying to differentiate themselves from Packard.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/9/8 21:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
And just think that Google thought they were breaking ground with their "Street View". Very nice tour of a portion of downtown L.A.

I see the streets were in bad shape back then. I'm guessing they didn't have any shovel ready stimulus plans then either or at least ones that worked. (LOL)

Posted on: 2011/9/9 10:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
If you go there today its not a US auto maker town.

Posted on: 2011/9/9 14:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Don, sorry for the excursion, it would be a waste to receive food for thought and don't use it.

Quote:
Gerd, regarding the three piece rear window in the photo you reference: It is a Cadallic. Cadillacs in the late 30s and early 40s featured a rear window with two dividers. It was one of their styling statements. They were trying to differentiate themselves from Packard.

John, thanks for the support. The above mentioned Packard from Tito featured a three piece window consisting of bulletproof glass whereas the pictured Cadillac according to you has two deviders as styling element. Knowing that the initially mentioned ZIS hasn't bulletproof glass and given that its builders haven't trying to differentiate its outward appearance from Packard (in-joke) I tend to believe that the parted ZIS backlight has been a stopgap after road accident, especially as the car was on duty in a foreign country. It wouldn't be the first temporary solution which was built for eternity. Thanks again John, we all benefit from your knowledge and friendliness.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.89 KB)
757_4e6b72a902d5d.jpg 543X589 px

Posted on: 2011/9/10 9:06
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

By the postwar days, a 5-6 year old Clipper would be the type of car that would see taxi duty for it's last use. Just conjecture, but it was probably a '42 Clipper Six: nice, spacious interior; rugged, durable, ecomonical six cylinder engine.....with the [I]plus[/I] of a Packard!

The rarity in the image is the 1941 Lincoln staring us in the face. That's no ordinary Zephyr (ovoid rear window), note the taller stature and the rectangular rear window, its the 138" wb Lincoln Custom, either the Model 31, 7-passenger sedan, 355 built, or the Model 32, 7-passenger limousine, 295 built.

Interesting the taxi would be a Packard and the chauffeured car a Lincoln!

Quite the wonderful video!

Steve

Posted on: 2011/9/11 8:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
at the 4:23 second mark of the video, there is a building that says "Paint any Car $32.50"

Today, the thinner to mix the paint costs more than 32.50.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 10:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
This is a great video. I've watched it several times now. Although I was only a toddler in L.A. when the film was made, I remember the area very well. The Richfield Tower was probably the most spectacularly garish building ever constructed... limited to a squat 13 stories due to the old earthquake rules in L.A., finished in shiny black and gold (blackgold... Richfield... oil... get it?) topped off with a neon encrusted, stylized oil derrick, it was an unforgettable sight. It was torn down in '69 to make way for the boring ARCO towers. I also like the traffic lights that have the arms that pop out reading 'GO' and 'STOP'. You can certainly see the smog. By the mid 50's you couldn't see across the street on bad days. Thanks for posting.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 10:43
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved